View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 04:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Aloha

New here. I typed my intro only to lose it before I posted. So I will give a very short version without all the good details. First, my username means Friend in Hawaiian. I am not Hawaiian but lived on the island.

My RSD started from a flight while on business travel. Got a blood clot (DVT) which was left untreated bec was un diagnosed by WC doc. Went months getting worse, while tossed around by docs. My WC doc couldn't give me a dx unless it was confirmed, but sometimes some are too small don't show on ultrasound. Was in ER also numerous times only to be sent home in same or worse than when I went in.

FYI - I work in clinical research and around lots of docs and many years in health industry. It was my coworker MD's that finally used their influence to get the WC to go with their suggestion/referral to another Friend MD who is Chief Director at a teaching hospital. Lots of diagnostic tests/scans, etc, etc first thought was Lymphedemia but finally diagnosed with RSD.

Had no support from family or friends and no one to turn too, so a few times had to call ambulance to lift me in a cage, call "scooper"to transport me to ER. Only to get doped up bec they didn't know what to do, even though I went to the same hospital my file is at, until they finally called my PM doc the next day. Oh need to mention, in so much pain, had to have a catheter and they never gave me an IV for fluids. When I was finally released, couldn't walk, sent home with a walker and major doped up.

Marriage was already on rocks and only got worse. Meds take me 2 months to adjust to function again, and this only put more strain on marriage. After some PT, med trials and procedures, finally had some kind of normalcy in life. This only made me see how bad the marriage got. I decided screw you, and packed my belongings and shipped them and me to an island-Hawaii, where I was far enough away from non-supports and long distance calls to harrass me about my actions. I finally decided to think of me, selfishly for once.

While in Hawaii - I loved it, my body loved it. I felt good: was able to walk, take a bus, relax on beach, less symptomatic - wow, i thought. Again everyone chose to not understand why i was happy. Well, after almost a year and pending judge signature on divorse papers, my husband had a huge wake up call and made changes. We decided one last time (3rd separation/3rd marriage therapist) to try to work out our issues. I must give all credit to GOD for changing both our hearts, the counselor/pastor for sharing with us tools what a healthly marriage is. We stopped our divorce in the nick of time before was officially over and working to develop a new marriage, which is going good.

Since I returned to the mainland, however, any strides in hawaii R gone, my health has gone down hill. Doc wants to tweek my meds and I'm scheduled for another LSB. I surely miss the island and love living in middle of an ocean and everything hawaii gave me, but my husband won't move there, have a daughter who is a senior this year, and with the economy, work is hard to find, here and harder on an island.

Looking for work here, interviews coming up (why can't have change in meds) and have to fight to continue to be able to work (which every1 knows) can be a challenge. My husband was recently laid off and unemployment for both of us don't cover our expenses and our 2 (out 5 children) at home. I do have an atty and a QME schedule in a few months. RSD dx in early 2007, started in one leg and spread to both full legs, both arms and upon returning to mainland started in face around lips and one cheek. The electrical zaps also returned two-fold especially at night in my legs and head. I have these brown scars used to be sores on both legs and middle of my back - don't know what they are, do you??

Liven hour by hour -
Mahalo for reading my story.
AiKane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote