Old 03-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

I'll save the allium seeds... They won't be ready til about
June for harvesting. The Campion are not ready til Sept. (there will be alot
of Campion this season, since I have many plants now instead of two).

Right now I can't think of anything I need. I bought some
things on Ebay last fall.

Let me think. I am naturalizing a city owned strip across the
street, that was damaged by the road work (which I show in
my profile album). I can't use tall grasses there, as there is a rule about car visibility. I might try the grasses to cover the wood left behind..stumps from the dead ashes? Look at the back of my car at that spot. They took the cuttings but left a horrible stump.

I only put in very hardy things there, since we are not home to water or care for it most of the summer. (wild oxeye daisies/rudbeckia) Right now I have some sedum there, and snow on the mountain, wild daylilies and myrtle, which seem to survive (we put those in last fall).
I found a few wild boston Ivy in my yard which I threw in there.
When I do a thing like this I throw a bunch of stuff together and see how they intermix, and get along. Some love it, and anothers don't do well...in the end I a get a naturalized effect.

Some of the allium are at the back of this strip where the creek begins (there is a steep decline leading to the creek), and I just threw those seed heads there and they love it! (very elegant and simple!) Not a lot of sun once the Oaks leaf up. A neighbor contributed some Chinese lanterns, but they tend to get eaten by "someone". Maybe Moe the groundhog or rabbits?
I also have some trillium and mertensia there as well. But it is pretty shady for most of it, and only a bit of sun along the curb.

I don't want to get sucked into caring for it too much since we can barely do our own things. But if you have things that are low growing...no more than 15in...let me know.
I'll put up a picture for you once it starts growing over there.
We just raked some of the leaves up this week, so I could get in there with fertilizer and the seed I have so far.

You can see the bare area across the street, in the picture with the digging going on... it is about 36-40in wide and in front of the black tarp . The city planted grass on this area in the end, but I asked them to leave it for us, so I could extend the natural garden effect. GRASS? who is going to mow that? and I know it will just die anyway, and it will compete with any seeds I lay down this spring and be a mess. Not enough sun for grass.
I built that wild naturalized garden myself over the years and just threw in "weedy" perennials and it worked well. I get alot of positive comments from people walking by.

Thanks!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote