Thread: service dog?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 10:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default service dog?

Does anyone have a service dog? I think someone on here mentioned that they do have one...

I have been a dog trainer - I used to be very competitive in the obedience show world years ago! Way back when, I was even a horse trainer. So I feel confident I could train a dog to do some basic service work.

My current dog is 12, and is an Australian Shepherd. She's not getting any younger, and I have been bouncing around the idea of adopting a dog from a local shelter. They have a program called "Cell Dogs" where some dogs are put through the local prison system - assigned to a prisoner, learn to live with the prisoner, in his cell, are crate trained, taught basic commands, etc. This would be good for me, as I don't think I want to start with a puppy again. I don't think my shoulders can take all the pulling on a leash an adult dog would require to teach it to heel either.

Right now, I am thinking teaching the dog to pick things up that were dropped, get the phone, and tug on my sweater or coat sleeves would be the main thing. (I have a terrible time getting my coats and sweaters off since I can't reach behind my back to pull on my own sleeves). My mother is 84 and lives with me, and I think getting the phone could be a Godsend for her... if she were to fall and break a hip - having a dog that knows to get the phone? Fantastic.

Probably teach it to wear a light pack on it's back too - for carrying a few things to lighten my load when out places.

I know I could not have a "registered" or "real" service dog, as it would not be certified -- so could not go into stores etc... but that doesn't mean I could not train a dog to do the same things.... You only get a certified one if you buy one from an organization, or if you do train it yourself, you have to travel to - I believe it was Colorado? to be certified, and it is quite a long and expensive process that I would be unable to afford. For what I need, I really don't need the dog to go to work with me etc. So a home trained dog would work fine.

If you have a service dog, what are the positives/negatives? What other things does your dog do for you? Any other info I might find helpful?

Thanks so much!
Jules
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote