View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Approval process lowers the number of kids on atypical prescriptions.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/article987612.ece

"Introduced in the 1990s for treatment of adult schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, the new class of drugs, called "atypicals,'' were touted as causing fewer side effects than first-generation, "typical" antipsychotics, such as Haldol. Despite their limited approved use, atypicals rapidly became best sellers, prescribed to adults for everything from mild dementia to insomnia.

Pediatric prescriptions skyrocketed as well, as doctors and parents alike became enamored of atypicals' ability to calm even the most fractious child. Though drug companies cannot promote unapproved or off-label uses, doctors can write such prescriptions. Atypical sales reps became frequent visitors to pediatricians' offices, often dropping off samples.

"Eighty percent of all the drugs a pediatrician uses are off-label because nobody tests drugs on kids," said Hubbard. "Unfortunately they don't let the companies sample atypicals to pediatricians anymore."

I don't know what to think about this, on another board (Autism support) the parents are praising this, my son meanwhile takes Risperdal for aggression and behavior impulse control, we've been afraid it's not helping and are seriously considering weaning him off it. I am of a mixed mind with regard to this subject but I thought it important enough to post here.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jaspar (03-29-2009)