View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 10:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What worked for me

Hi eRed,

Unless the law has changed, I don't think you can retain a lawyer, until after you have been denied for SSD. When I applied, a few years back, I had 2-3 disabeling conditions, but none that were on "their list" that would get me approved right away. If you go to the SSD web site, you can find that list.

What I did was buy a book, which helped me big time. By following it's suggestions, I didn't make any of the common mistakes that will get you automatically denied. The book I bought was printed by Nolo. I believe that it's named, Nolo's guide to SSD, getting and keeping your benefits.
That may not be the exact name, but it's close.
You can get it at any of the big book stores, in person or on line.

I would ensure that you have included everything that will help your case. I paid a small fee to get copies of my records from the different doctors I had seen. I also had my primary doctor write a letter to Social Security, which I included in my original package. I believe that this letter helped me the most. Send them copies of everything you have. I also kept a "pain chart" that I filled in three times a day, for about a month. Along with this chart, I also included the daily activities that I was no longer able to do.

It is harder to get approved if your under age 50. I know, that's wrong, but it's true. If you follow their guidelines, and give them all the information you have, you will greatly increase your chances of winning your case. If you do loose, you'll have copies of everything that you can then give to an attorney, which will save you time and money. If necessary, make sure you pick an attorney that specializes in SSD. Don't use your local attorney, as they are not up to date of everything that can help your case. It won't cost you any extra money, to hire an expert, as they do not get paid unless you win. They will then take a certain precentage of your winnings. It's usually a set amount.

If you feel that you can win without an attorney, go for it. Just realize you will probably not be up to date on the everything that can help you, should you end up before the judge.

Good luck, you can win !!!!!!!
AChronicPainer
AChronicPainer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote