View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default MVD 6 months ago. Considering a second. Need opinions!!!

I had an MVD on August 6, 2008 for classic TN. Everything went great. I had three compressions, one artery and two veins. I was pain free for 5 months and off all meds for four.Then it came back a little at a time. Four shocks one week and one shock the following month and wham the next month just like before the surgery. Each time it happened it came a few days before my period was due.

I also have several screws that need to come out so a neurosurgeon already has to go part way in to take the plate and screws out so.....I might as well let him go all the way in right????maybe??????

So, now i am considering a second MVD but my husband is leaning towards the Gamma Knife. He thinks that maybe my brain is remembering the pain paths already traveled since the compressions were definitely fixed. Or, there is always the possibility that another compression grew out from one of the veins. I asked another neurosurgeon and he said that it is possible to happen that fast.

I had the MVD done 3 and a half years from diagnosis so I thought I had a really good chance of being fixed.

My question to all of you: What would you do???

Have any of you had to have a second MVD and was it successful?

How about Gamma Knife? I am claustraphobic!

If I have Gamma Knife, isn't it only good for a few years?

I am only 47 and I really don't want to be on these meds my whole life besides I know they will stop working sooner or later anyway.

Right now, I am on Baclofen and Topamax and I did not have any shocks this month. It is also getting warmer so this will give me a little time to think this over.

I appreciate any input you can give me!!!

Thanks,

Mary
fazlab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote