Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyd View Post
Dear Mrs. D., How bout a variety of hostas or some ferns? I looked at your pics,, loved the frog!!! If it gets shady as summer goes on these might work for you. Let me know, as they will be popping up soon and I can get them to you at an early stage.
Wow.. that is really generous of you. Would this offer hold for next spring? LOL The reason I ask is that I could use them
in another place...but this season I have to concentrate my time on the problem at hand. Where I am working now, it is very dry...dry shade. The most difficult place to grow anything.
The huge trees we have suck all the moisture out of the ground quickly. And the front garden is mostly sand, from the building of the road, and that complicates things further and makes the water issue more acute. Both ferns and hostas don't like it that dry.

I have found one plant that grows wild that I have been increasing for dry shade...it is called early meadow rue, and stays short, and looks like maidenhair ferns! I can save some of these seeds for you too...I have finally put them in and spread seed over the past decade in places where NOTHING would grow!
http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/image/vbig/...es/meadow2.jpg
This is a really nice plant for dry shade. It will also grow in more moist conditions. I am very partial to it, and it casts a very nice shadow if planted along a sidewalk or street.
This spring I will be scrounging for volunteer babies to move across the street.
It comes easily from seed. But it alas, has no flowers. It is basically a foliage statement.
This photo shows the little cluster of seeds on this plant.
I think it has to be cold stratified before planting. Like I am doing with the Allium.

Which BTW, I checked the Allium seeds in the frig..I wrapped them in
damp paper toweling and put that in a ziploc and they have swollen up 100%... so they may germinate faster than I expected. Once I get this experiment to work, that is how you can do them too. (I used to do daylillies this way and Siberian Iris). OH, that reminds me... I will have a TON of blue Siberian iris seeds this season... Want some of those?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote