View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I'm wondering if you might be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Copper.

Obviously the event that led you here to this forum was traumatic, I know mine was. Emotional problems following any traumatic event can sometimes go on for a long time after the incident. I developed panic attacks, something I'd never had before in my life, so I too suffered from PTSD for some time. I was lucky in that I only suffered for about 6 months, others suffer for many years.

When reading about PTSD, I saw many articles that referred to increased drug and/or alcohol consumption following any traumatic event. I guess it could be a way of coping, or it could be a way of avoidance..... blocking out the issue, I don't know which.

PTSD sufferers may resort to alcohol or illicit drugs to block out unwanted memories & feelings. According to the Australian Centre for Post Traumatic Mental Health (1999), approximately 50% of men and 25% of women with chronic PTSD have drug and alcohol issues ... http://www.anxietyaustralia.com.au/a...raumatic.shtml

Have a look at PTSD, and if you think this might fit how you've been feeling, mention it to your GP. Maybe he/she will be able to help.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vini (03-31-2009)