View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Dear Dr. Hooshmand,

Question: Why are you against eating chocolate?

Answer: Chocolate, except for being an "upper", almost identical to cocaine, has no redeeming value.

It does not release any endorphin, and has nothing to do with endorphin or any pain relief.

Chocolate contains "phenyl etholamine", a chemical very close to cocaine. It is also extracted from the same cocoa tree. This chemical strongly stimulates the secretion of adrenaline and nor-adrenaline (nor-epinephrine). These are the chemicals that are released by the sympathetic system.

When you have a nerve block, the sympathetic system's release of epinephrine is reduced by about 10 mg (10 thousandth of a gram). A chocolate bar provides 10 gm of the stimulant chemical (1000 times higher than the block's reduction). So the best way to aggravate RSD is having a piece of chocolate, also it is addicting similar to cocaine.

H. Hooshmand, M.D.
I don't know how true Dr Hooshmands position on chocolate is, but this is probably where the myth comes from.

For the record I am very careful with my diet now, but chocolate is one of those rare indulgences I do not deny myself of. We all need treats every now and then.

I focus on an anti-inflammatory diet and it has helped me very much.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote