View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Testing

Mark, I hae been repeatedly told by psychologists - (other than Dorothy of course) that as I have scored above average and in some cases in their top 20% (percentile as they would say) that there is nothing wrong with me and most people would be happy to score as well as I had.

I end up sitting there trying to explain that I was never "just above average" - average did not exist for me - I was always an extremely quick thinker - excelled at school and sports - was a perfectionist. I know that it sounds like rose coloured glasses but that is how I was. And who needs to have a sleep after 2 hours of testing and has a massive headache from concentrating so hard for so long?

I am now thinking that the higher the IQ etc the more we notice any brain imperfections or injuries. I firmly believe that my tiredness is due to my brain trying to process as rapidly as it did previously but requires more energy to do so which explains why my good time is so limited during the day. I don't know how to slow it down - it is not exacly like taking your foot off the accelerator and I do try to avoid over stimulation of my brain i.e. one thing at a time. I am sure that the "speed" of the brain is a genetic thing set at birth or shortly after. I try to avoid cramming too much into my good brain time as I pay for it the next day.

When I did the QEEG it was reported that I was in the bottom 20% as far as learning disabilities go - I find that really hard to believe, though when I think about it I realise that as the most disabling incident was when I was 45, prior to this I had stored an extremely wide spread general knowledge - including a lot of irrevelant junk in my brain - this is always easier to retreive that anything that I have learned in the past 8 years. Often it will take me days to remember something that I do know that I know the answer to. Word finding can be a pain too - I am very good at bluffing - few people would realise any of this!

Sorry I am waffling away here - my bed time now!

Lynlee
Lucy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote