View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Testing

Did the QEEG analyzer say anything about your frontal lobe power? Mine is at up to ten times normal. This is the source of my high intelligence. My processing speed is at 10% and memory functions at about the same.
My occipital lobe is at about 25% power. Thus the two lobes do not communicate very well.

The high intelligence problem with the neuropsych assessment is very common. I think part of the problem is when the psychologist sees someone with higher intelligence score than his own. They have labeled my intelligence as extraordinary and phenomenal. This shows that it is better than theirs. They think that just because you have high intelligence score, there is nothing wrong. It is intelligence envy. They claim that the low memory and processing skills are just a psychological aberration. I have yet to meet a neuropsych as smart as I am. They are usually just a trained robot that cannot think outside the box. It is one thing to be able to store knowledge. It is quite another thing to know how to use that information. The latter is probably you and me.

I have good access to old information. That is pre-morbid knowledge. Since 2001, I have very little memory or ability to learn new skills or information. If I am doing research, I use cut and paste with wild abandon. I will cut and paste anything that has a remote connection to my project. Then I can slowly sort through all of the information I have collected so it makes better sense. Otherwise, I will have no idea of what or where the good information is. I sometimes use multiple monitors or even multiple computers so I do not lose track of information I need for my project.

They define skill sets that are retained after brain injury as "over-learned skills." That is, they have been used so many times, that they are stored in many different parts of long term memory. Thus, they can be found when the brain needs to recall the skill. It is like there is a well beaten path to the stored memory. Either that or there are many different paths to the stored memory. The information since injury (post morbid) does not get this path system set up as well so recall can be hap-hazard. I will finally remember something I searched my memory for, often days later.

I moved to my present home six months before my injury. I had already memorized many of the streets all over the valley. After my injury, those memories were just gone. I had not over-learned them yet. I have not been able to memorize them again.

One of my tricks when I cannot find a memory is to look around and identify the different things I see. This sort of tests a bunch of memory routes and sometimes, the memory is found. I have horrible problems with word finding. I often use a word with the same first letter or even a combination of the same letters. I might say 'decide' when I mean 'discover.' My wife is good at helping me correct to the word I was wanting. She can almost read my mind better than I can. When I am giving her driving directions ( I do not drive anymore), I will say left when my brain means right. As soon as I hear my mistake, I can correct it.

I do a lot of work with power tools plugged into extension cords. If I need to unplug a drill and plug a saw into the extension cord, I will always get it backwards. I unplug the drill and instead of dropping the drill cord plug end, I drop the extension cord plug end. Then I pick up the saw cord plug end and try to plug it into the drill cord plug end. I can concentrate to try to do it correctly and still I drop the extension cord plug end.

When driving down the road, I will see road signs that look odd. When I look again, I realize that I scrambled the letters to come up with something quite different that the actual word. It can be quite amusing. It is sort of a dyslexia problem.

I have a similar problem with my keyboard skills. I will type "and" instead of "an," 'are' instead of 'or', 'this' instead of 'the', and other quirky combinations. I will not add an "s" to make a word plural. It is like my brain short circuits and sends a message to my fingers based on the first similar word in memory. My brain thinks the right word. It just gets sidetracked sending the message to my fingers.

I use spell check in everything I type online.

One of my serious problems is with papers or forms. I cannot fill out a form that is full of blanks to fill in. My mind gets overwhelmed with all of the blank spaces and I get stuck. If I just have to fill out a form with lots of blank spaces, if I remember, I put a sheet of paper over the blank spaces and only expose one line at a time. This allows my mind to focus on just the one blank.

A similar problem happens with multiple pieces of paper. I cannot look at three or more pages at the same time. I quickly get overloaded. My solution is to three hole punch them and put them in a binder. That way I can only see one page at a time. I can organize them easily this way. Sorting through multiple loose pages is just not possible.

Well, I digress so much it annoys people to no end. I should stop this and let it be read so someone can make a flippant comment.

BTW, I think you are right. Because we "had" such highly developed skills, we are extremely sensitive to all of our new dysfunctions.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote