View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm sorry you're having these difficulties

yes, I had armpit pain for years. I used 3" balloons in my armpit to get some relief. I felt the tugging as you're describing, yes from the armpit to the fingertips bilaterally and from the right clavical to the ear and face involvement, with numbness. No fun

Therapist does myofascial release and it has helped over the years. Another strange thing though, it made it flare up after therapy too. Three days of hell afterwards.

Yoga helped stretch that out too.

And another tender place was the inner arm (between the belly of the tricep and bicep) and straight across to my breast. Man, that really hurt and no one has ever explained why or where that pain came from.

It is a good thought to postpone surgery if you're in a flare. Listen to your body. I had an outpatient surgical procedure on my ear, stapedectomy -- me and surgeon both now know that a lot of my problem was from TOS and cervical bulges and herniations and I really didn't need a stap at that time. Afterwards he has said that to me. But because of my back and TOS I was really miserable and actually caused me to have not too good of a result. Well, I thought I was deaf in that ear. I probably need to let them go back in but I'm not willing to trust that I'll be taken care of or it will be fixed.

I gave my history, but didn't think about needing to stop meds the night and morning before surgery. Made a big difference in my pain level. Then laying in a hospital bed for hours before surgery, well, not a good thing with my back.

Really, what happened, I was getting really uncomfortable and about to come up out of the bed and go home (I was in Memphis-8hrs away) when the anesthesologist came up to me - introduced himself. Such a nice guy. he seen I was in pain and I told him I had not taken my meds and that laying down flat -- which is what the surgeon wanted me to do -- is not a good thing from my back. Well, the nice anesthesologist said, "For most people we reverse it, but for you, I'll let it run." I said, "Oh, thank you kind sir." Well, I'm not used to heavy meds so I woke up and I was puking my guts out for the rest of the day. Well, needless to say, or the way I've got it figured out, I couldn't hear very well because of the straining that happened. must have caused stap (prosthetic) to move some. The surgeon says everything looks great from what he can tell and my tests are all good now. It took a year to get that good result.

You'll have to make that decision because they don't understand your body. TOS makes everything complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fern View Post
I haven't been here for serveral months and hope everyone is doing well.

I woke up with a terrible flare 2.5 weeks ago. It was new to me in that there was a very painful pull from my armpit to my little fingers and another one from my deltoid? to my little fingers on the other side of my same arm. Also there was a more usual pain in my neck and pull from under my ear to the clavicle and the usual stabbing shoulder blade pain. It hurt to breathe more than a shallow breath and activities like sitting or even sleeping made it worse. ONly a little supported walking helped. This pain was a constant 8-9 at first and now thankfully is more intermittent and less severe.

My question is about dystonia. I saw Oprah today and there was a wmn on the show along w/Michael J Fox who suffers from dystonia. Her body was severely pulled to one side. Her pain seemed similar to that kind of muscle pain I get in that seems like a constant tugging once it gets started. I know that w/TOS we get hypertrophic muscles. Is dystonia related to the usual TOS pains? I remember a lot of talk about focal dystonia when the famous pianist had releif after many yrs of suffering but not much since then. The wmn on Oprah was getting quarterly Botox at USC.

btw-my PT feels that it's a case of fascial restriction that was caused by a fallout of getting my spine in better alignment, causing the shortened fascia to pull for a few weeks until new cells can create more length in the fascial train. The flare does seems to be lessening on it's own but I've never had that severe pull from the armpit before and am wondering if there's something I can do. I've completed my PT for awhile due to an upcoming surgery and I had a new MRI of my Cspine yesterday to make sure it's not radiculopathy (which I did have some years back prior to C-spine surgery - and it doesn't feel the same). The docs here in my town don't know much about TOS so I'm looking for some input from you smart folks here. My goal is to be able to sit and lie w/o flare for surgery and recovery. I hope to be w/o flare or I will postpone surgery.

thanks for your suggestions.
(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fern (04-29-2009)