View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi AiKane,

Unfortunately, Short Term Memory Loss and RSD tend to go hand-in-hand. I have very bad short term memory loss - I can literally say or do something and then forget what I did a minute later!!!! It is SO scary and annoying at times but I have learnt to try and get "used to it". My mum told my school teachers that my short term memory is affected by the RSD but they don't really understand how something is wrong with my leg and arms but yet my memory is affected also!!!

RSD affects the Limbic part of the Brain which is the area that controls memory and other things. I think some meds cause short term memory loss also so it might be worthwhile checking out the side effects of any medications you are on. I'm not on any meds at the moment because they didn't help and the side effects often outweighed the benefits.

I also get very tired a lot. It takes me a long time to wake up and even if I sleep a lot (which is pretty rare now), I still dont wake up feeling refreshed and always feel fatigued. Has anyone ever looked into Fibromyalgia?? Many people with RSD also suffer from Fibro and researches believe that if you have RSD, you are at greater risk of developing Fibro. My Pain Management Doctor told me that he was 99.9% certain that I had Fibro but because of the RSD, he couldn't tell for certain.

It's really frustrating that I am always tired as it can really affect my school work and we cant plan anything really as I might be too tired on that day or in too much pain. For me, a lot of the meds that I was on, caused the fatigue to be worse so I think that was one of the reasons why I came off them as well as they weren't doing anything - I am still VERY fatigued now but it isn't quite as bad as what it was when I was on some meds!!!!

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with all of this also!! I wish I could help you more but I cant unfortunately - just know that I care about you and that you aren't alone!!!