View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes I agree with you all, especially Ali's comment about how RSD affects the Limbic brain. Ali I think you are a very smart young lady!

When my lidocaine starts to wear off, or if my rsd flares up it is like my brain slows down and I become very tired. Sometimes it feels like my brain is a jumbled scrambled mess as the pain signals take over. I can feel it coming on, I can't seem to concentrate, focus or get all the words out straight. I had my Lidocaine infusion yesterday (my dr. put me back on the IV infusion) and I feel great today, no pain, lots of energy and a I am very clear and focused. I always get twice as much done in the 1st week following my infusions. It's like I'm back to my old self again, typically this lasts for about 2 weeks.

The other possibility is that the STM loss could be caused from a hormonal imbalance. It is typically a symptom of peri-menopause but considering the fact that RSD affects our adrenal glands it's no wonder most of us have STM loss and and feel tired. Having RSD is like having a foot stuck on the gas peddle full throttle constantly without a break. That can certainly through off the rest of the hormones. Have you considered having your hormones checked? I find it interesting that the median age of patients diagnosed with RSD is 43 around the time of more rapid hormonal decline for woman, men too are affected by this.

I'm learning German right now, very slowly, I have a hard time remembering the words I just learned...LOL. I have to keep repeating everything over and over again and again. Despite my shortcomings in linguistic abilities I soldier on and practice each day. I've read that learning a new language can help keep your brain in good shape, something to do with brain placicty. Brain Plasticity refers to the brains ability to change in response to experience , learning and thought. Neuroscientists once believed that the brain was wired for life and change could not occur and decline as a person aged, was inevitable.

You might have seen Dr. Amen on PBS?

Quote:
Dr Daniel Amen is a psychiatrist and Neuroscientist who has been working in the field of brain plasticity for many years.Through the use of brain imaging techniques such as fMRI (Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging)Dr. Amen has studied a range of patients with a myriad of disorders and symptomatology such as depression,addiction(drugs,alcohol and nicotine),ADD,stroke and alzheimers disease.

His findings have shown that the brain changes as a result in negative ways in what is known as negative brain plasticity.

However since the brain can change negatively it can also change positively.

In his book ,‘Change your Brain ,Change your life’, he offers a range of positive ways in which you can enhance your life. These include diet and vitamins, physical exercise and life long learning in new pursuits such as learning a language or musical instrument .
The way I look at it is "I may have RSD but RSD doesn't have me" I don't recall where I got that quote from... LOL, but it's a good one worth repeating. I plan to do everything I can each day to keep in the game as long as I possibly can with the least possible medications.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AiKane (04-02-2009), ali12 (04-02-2009), jenno (04-06-2009)