Thread: Teresa
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 12:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Teresa

Hello everyone. I found this site a couple of days ago thanks to the RSDSA. My husband was diagnosed with RSD officially 10/14/08. He is a firefighter and was injured on the job 7/07/08. On 9/03/08 he had arthroscopic surgery to repair both meniscus in the left knee. Four days later his leg turned purple, ice cold and he had excruciating pain to the left foot. The PA for the doctor told me it was a normal reaction from removing the TED hose. I am a paramedic and had never heard of such a thing but I believed him. On 9/10/08 he was admitted to the hospital to rule out DVT ( blood clot). He spent 4 days in the hospital and was discharged without a diagnosis. Work comp was obviously getting tired of him. Due to the persistance of his physical therapist he was evaluated by another comp doctor who said the problem was psych/neuro and in no way related to the injury or surgery. (In all my 20 years in emergency medicine I have never seen anyone who can make there limb turn purple and cold.) I found a neurologist at a university and a lawyer. While waiting for the Dr's appointment the lawyer told me that my husbands symptoms sounded like RSD. We were lucky that we got the diagnosis as soon as we did. My husband stared getting nerve blocks in November. He has had 3 so far and has good control as far as RSD is concerned. His pain averages between a 3 & 5 daily. His problem now is the pain in the knee never got better, still the same as before surgery. The work comp ortho surgeon has released him to return to work with an 80# lifting restriction, he can't work with that restriction. Told him he doesn't know what's wrong with the knee, for our pain management Dr to figure it out & if he get's better let him know and he will reevaluate him. I know we are lucky compared to what others have been through, I see it here and everyday at work in the ER. My husband has become so depressed. He has a psychiatrist and psychologist along with his pain management Dr and anesthesiologist, they are all great and he has made improvements. He doesn't want to give up being a firefighter and I understand that. Lately I have started to feel overwhelmed trying to keep up with work, going to school, and our 2 boys that are still at home. Most days my husband just lays on the couch and feels sorry for himself. He refuses to consider another career. I'm sorry for rambling. What an introduction. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting him motivated? The last couple of days have just been difficult. Thanks for listening and any suggestions.
medictlc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (04-03-2009), barbo (04-12-2009)