View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 02:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Bluesky,
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with diagnosis. I was really lucky and was diagnosed as soon as I walked into the neuro's office (although I had waited along time thinking my symptoms were all in my head). I wanted to reply to you because of what you wrote about your kidney stone surgery. It sounds like you had an anaestheitic-induced crisis. I had one after I had my wisdom teeth out and it was not fun. I can't give you medical details (I'm a primary school teacher - not a neuro-scientist) BUT my understanding of it is some anaesthetics block the same neurotransmitters that MG blocks so even fewer messages are getting through to the muscles. After my reaction to the anaesthetic I had a simple blood test done to show that I am pseudocholinesterase deficient. Basically, it just means that I can't cope with certain anaesthetics and need more of the "reversal" drug to wake-up properly. I've since had two more surgeries under general anaesthetic and had no more problems. I hope that all made sense to you - maybe someone with a better understanding can clairfy points I've muddled up!

I agree that based on the symptoms you've shared it does sound like you have MG, but again, I'm no doctor. Have you contacted the Myasthenia Gravis Association? I'm not sure what they could do for you, but it might help to speak with someone face-to-face if possible. I'm going to a conference in Glasgow in May, but I suppose Scotland would be a bit of a trek for you!! My own MG started out fairly mild compared to some of the cases here, but flared up significantly 2 years ago. I really hope you get the answers you need.

Take care of yourself.
~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote