Thread: dentist insults
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hello Jon!!

A genius I'm not but of course I remember you........ I often think to myself, I hope everything worked out ok for Jon... he'll post soon to let us know ~'.'~ And here you are, but unfortunately not with good news :-((

I think I understand your description of the lower implant denture. But I'm confused about one thing ..... is the lower denture complete? Or was this appointment for just a fitting and the denture is going back to the lab?

Implant dentures can be made to fit a variety of conditions but there are limitations depending on the height and width of the jawbone. The lower jaw can be very tricky to fit comfortably with any type of full denture. If you have alot of bone loss in your lower jaw, then the acrylic part of the denture would have to be thick in the back below the teeth to take up the space where your bony ridge would normally be. It cannot fit snug against the lower tissue because it would cause severe irritation when you chewed your food. Yes, this is bulky to your tongue. Yes, food will tend to get trapped underneath. If the acrylic were thinner and/or shorter, like it is in the front, the denture may not seat adequately on the implants. This condition would cause excessive force on the implants when you chewed. Sometimes, the acrylic part of the denture can be adjusted a little bit to lesson the bulkiness, but not necessarily enough to make a whole lot of difference.

Every denture patient, whether implants are involved or not, has to go through a period of trial and error. You literally have to learn how to eat all over again. You may need to brush and rinse (with warm salt water) after every meal for awhile until you get acquainted with your new teeth. But in time with some perseverance it should get better.

Jon, I know you have been through hell with all of this. I remember your situation well. I think you will have to go along with what they have done because they may not be able to alter it due to the particular placement of the dental implants and the inadequate level of your jawbone.

Do I think they should speak to you the way they did or treat you poorly?? Absolutely not, no one deserves to be mistreated for any reason!! You have been pushed around from the get go and have tried to be compliant with all of their demands and you have endured great stress over the whole ordeal. You have beena great patient without any doubt!!

I cannot emphasize enough the limited workability (word??) there is in making a full lower denture. It may be the best that it can be.

Jon, follow this through and get your teeth. Then make every effort to be heard by the dean of that school about the way you have been treated. Even if it means writing to the local newspaper and the school newsletter or school publication.

I know you are dissatisfied...... I am so sorry. Please write again soon :-)

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Hi, Bryanna, I hope you're nearby. You'd have to be a genius to remember everyone, but I talked with you a lot about problems I was having with the state dental school putting implants in for me. Yesterday I was there for the 'fitting of the lower plate'. They had made the final lower plate(?_) The plastic teeth had been put in place, any adjustments had to be final, then they would send it to the lab where the permanent plate would be made. After the next visit, if all was well, they will screw the acrylic plate into the implants permantly.

Here's my current problem: I wish I could draw it for you. The teeth were not too bad in front. However, they are so thick in back - from the bottom of the teeth - there is about a half inch gum on to those. The front implants will be screwed on to that plastic back of the front teeth, two screws go straight through the middle of the teeth ( where the caps are now screwed in) on each back side.

I complained immediately about the thickness on the inside of my mouth. It feels awful and it does not seal to my mouth. The result is that everything I eat will go under the plate and I'll feel it till I can get it out. The resident said I would just have to brush my teeth everytime I eat anything. That it had to be that thick to keep the teeth from breaking off - that all of the metal was in that lower band and if they take it off, my teeth will break.

I asked for the head of the department. He finally came in and immediately told me that they had done all they were going to do. That I was the worst patient they'd ever had. That they'd tried everything I asked about, and that nothing pleased me. That I complained more about nothing than anyone they'd seen. etc, etc. That if I didn't like it, they'd take it out and I could go to someone else. Are you getting the picture?

After they botched my surgery. After they refused to give me another resident when I asked for him. After I just about had a stroke because of a cement they were using. I'm allergic , had anapolactice shock, had to have oxygen, etc. They made nice until I got to this point of no return. I'm 78 if you remember, have very high blood pressure, many other health problems, and am handicapped. After 2 years of this stuff, I end up worse off.

This is really jumping all around. I'm sorry, but I really need some advice on what I can do. I haven't been able to see the Dean of the school for the almost 2 years I've been going there and asking. If I could have gone to another dentist yesterday, I would have. There are so many there, but I know nothing about them. I need someone to look at what's there and tell me if anything else can be done.

I also need to know if he can come in and talk to me as he did. I was so shocked, I couldn't say anything. If I don't agree with what they did, they will just not finish. They can't do that,, can they?

Please answer if you can.

Jon
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (04-03-2009)