View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry, you're wrong (at least in my case.)

I had a thymoma which would not have been discovered if not for the CAT scan. They would not have determined that it was cancerous if not for the thymectomy and biopsy. They cannot do needle biopsies of thymomas because if they are cancerous, they seed the needle path with cancer cells that are very prone to rapid growth. If it had not been removed, it would have grown beyond the capsule more than it had and I'd quite likely have cancer throughout my body now.

My thymectomy saved my life.

Since my thymectomy, my ptosis is gone, my marble mouth (caused by partial paralysis of my tongue) is gone and my swallowing is significantly improved. I am on mestinon, but do not take time release at night, I am quite able to see the difference in the morning compared to before my thymectomy.

You may not believe they improve quality of life for MG patients; however that is a decision between individual patients and their healthcare team. I'm very glad I listened to the advice of mine. There is a significant percentage of people whose MG improves post thymectomy; granted it is not 100% but it is still significant.

Brian.
Brennan068 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote