View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

That is a great list Cindy! I have about 2/3 of those already.

I didn't know Pearlies could grow in shade. Up North, they don't do well in the woods, but do very well on the rocky shore (where there is little or no soil).

I transplanted a clump from our other island (the family owns but is not built upon) to our shore in 2005. This picture shows them getting ready to flower in 2006. They were robust until last year, when they more or less were gone. But they reseeded, and have spread nicely. And the DEER leave them alone! HAHA
They don't transplant well, and may die when moved. The place where I took them had a clump about 36 inches in diameter.
Last summer that clump spread along the whole shore -- just above the water line. It had to be 50 feet LONG! It was amazing. We don't know if that was because I took a piece of it and that stimulated it, or it was just going to happen anyway!

So I will bring back seeds this year from ours and see if they take across the street! They'd even be nice in our regular garden! The pH up there in the Limestone(alkaline) may be the factor they love..we might be too acidic for them here...but it is worth a try!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-04-2010 at 03:33 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote