View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthomolecular View Post
William Walsh of the Pfeiffer Treatment Center thinks it boils down to oxidative stress in the gut.

http://www.gatago.com/sci/med/nutrition/9952267.html

http://asa.confex.com/asa/2005/techprogram/S1181.HTM

Instead of thinking that gluten issues are behind other conditions like auto immune problems, it may be that one thing is behind those two things, both gluten sensitivity and auto-immune problems.

I think there may be one thing that is common to all sufferers, one thing among those with gluten AND auto immune problems. That one thing may boil down to oxidative stress in the gut.

The GI tract is important; if there is any damage the effect it has on the whole body can be pretty far reaching, causing problems with anti-oxidant levels for one thing. But I think it may be possible that if these anti-oxidant levels stay low long enough if may cause other problems too.

Oxidative stress and autoimmune problems.
http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-017.shtml

Autoimmune means the body is attacking itself. Usually the first place this can start is with foods not digested properly. The body attacks these foods that are not digested completely, beginning the cycle of autoimmune problems. Why do the foods not get digested properly? Different problems but damage to the GI tract may occur because of the lack of anti-oxidants over time, I guess.
I think you make a good point. I have considered this to be the case, since my family lacks the celiac genes, and my daughter also tested positive to pyroluria. The point of the above exercise (looking at gluten sensitivity/antigliadin antibody's in other disease) suggests that the researchers should be looking beyond "celiac disease" for an explanation of gluten sensitivity and its consequences, rather than ignoring that which occurs outside of the confines of 'celiac disease'. Also not to be dimissed is that many of these condition do improve on a gluten free diet.

I've quoted this excerpt from Dr. Walsh a few times on oxidative stress... of course, lost on the old forum:

Quote:
Occasionally we encounter a patient who has actually been severely poisoned by a toxic metal, and chelation is the first option. However, this is really quite rare. (Aug 4, 2003)

Another factor to consider is the high incidence of oxidative stress in the G.I. tract. This environment can destroy key digestive enzymes such as DPP-IV (needed to break down casein & gluten)..... This condition is especially common in autism-spectrum disorders.

Failure to correct the oxidative stress would doom supplemented enzymes to an early death. The result can be similar to Pickett's Charge at the battle of Gettysburg.... The digestive enzymes are mowed down as soon as they enter the G.I. tract.

On the other hand, amino acid supplements can be quite helpful, even if digestive enzymes are absent. The reason is that the enzymes act to cleave (break down) proteins into the individual amino acids before the AA's can be absorbed. "Free-form" amino acids need no further digestion or conversion..... They are already completely broken down to the form needed for efficient absorption.

Of course, proper enzymatic action is needed for effective processing of dietary protein and other foods, a requisite for good G.I. tract health. (Aug 20, 2003)

The casein-free, gluten-free diet often results in rapid striking improvements. However, nutritional supplements which overcome G.I. tract oxidative stress can make the CF/GF diet unnecessary.

Normalization of zinc, metallothionein, and glutathione in the G.I. tract isn't difficult to accomplish. It's a lot easier to take a couple of capsules daily than this difficult diet. It takes about 6-8 weeks for the G.I. tract to get "fixed" using this therapy.

We've had many patients who were extremely sensitive to dairy and wheat.... and did marvelously after the CF/GF diet. Many of these same patients completely lost their sensitivity to casein and gluten after the antioxidant supplementation..... and now can eat a normal diet without a problem. (Aug 21, 2003)
http://www.alternativementalhealth.c...walshMP.htm#Ox
I think this may be particularly noteworthy for those who have gluten sensitivity outside of celiac disease. I do believe that any number of conditions may damage the gut and lead to secondary gluten sensitivity and all that goes with it. In that case, removing gluten is sort of a band-aid fix if you don't correct the underlying condition affecting the gut, and might be why some of us continue to have so much trouble with foods in addition to gluten? Gluten is just among the most damaging.

I don't believe I've seen the LEF link...so I will take a look at it, plus the others you leave. Thank you!

At one point the LEF article states:
Autoimmune states can be induced by food sensitivities that cause intestinal gut permeability and complicate leaky gut syndrome (Kitts et al. 1997).

I think sometimes the food sensitivity is primary and starts the cascade of events, and other times the food sensitivity is secondary... but in either case, the same complications may arise. Do you agree, Ortho, or do you have a different thought?

We consulted with Dr. McGinnis regarding my daughter with Pyroluria. Still, I have read/heard conflicting opinions about whether the gluten sensitivity associated with pyroluria is primary or secondary. Since she is the one refusing the diet based on the GI's advice, I really hope that dealing with the oxidative stress will reduce or eliminate her gluten sensitivity.

I saw another DAN! doctor who believed Pyroluria was not a primary condition, but that underlying immune system dysfunction was. So many ways to turn, but it all seems to go together..in a circular sort of way.

Both of these doctors, btw, recommend the removal of gluten/casein and other foods in those who show sensitivity. So...maybe we need to do it all? Do you eat gluten? Would you consider adding it back at some point, assuming you've corrected the oxidative stress?

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 09-11-2006 at 01:04 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote