Old 04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackingmoose View Post
Hello everyone,

My boyfriend has had RSD/CRPS for 5 years now. Recently it has spread and mde his pain worse where he is unble to work and travel for longer that 30 minutes.

He is prescribed:
Percocet 5 ml 3 times a day
Lyrica was 75ml 2x a day but now it will be 100 ml 3 x
Soma, didn't work so he's off that
Physical Therapy was 3 x a week but they determined it wasn't working and discharged him.

I am trying to be supportive and beleive me it is the hardest thing in the world that I have been given to tackle. I am doing what I can but the most frustrting part came today when the doctor wouldn't listen to him. I was right there in the room with them and the doctor ignored everything my BF was telling him.

I found a great website I am working with to raise research funds. I just need to hear from others with and without RSD and how I can be a better supporter.

Thank you.

Hi Quackingmoose and Welcome to Neurotalk - it is great to have you here and you will meet many great people who I am sure will be more than happy to help you in anyway they possibly can!!!

I'm SO sorry to hear that your BF suffers from RSD also! I really hope that things start getting better for him real soon and you are both in my thoughts.

I also suffer from RSD. It currently affects both arms and my left leg. I developed it when I was just 12 years old after I fell and sprained my ankle and am now 14. I have tried all sorts of medications and procedures and none have really worked that well for me. I am now on Ketamine as a last resort but my doctor doesn't like me taking it as he feels it could mess up my hormones because of my age etc.

I cant imagine how hard it must be for you as a Caregiver to have to watch your BF go through all of this and not be able to help and make him better - it must be the hardest thing in the World ! My mum is my caregiver and I honestly dont know what I would do without her, she has helped me through a lot of the rough times and has been the only person in my family that has really supported me 100% through all of this. She posts on the forum sometimes when I am unable to so if you would like me to get her to PM you, please let me know as i'm sure she will be happy to as she understands a lot of the things you are having to deal with as well!!!!

I give you a lot of credit for sticking by your BF and trying to support him - I know its hard and it takes a strong person to do that!! Please dont ever be afraid to let your emotions out - I think sometimes people forget that RSD affects the whole family, not just the person suffering and it's important that you vent all of your feelings. We have a Caregivers section on the forum so please feel free to post there should you wish as it's important that YOU get support also!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that PT isn't working for your BF. I can relate. PT didn't help me at first, then it started helping a bit and I was able to walk where as before I was wheelchair bound but didn't cure the pain and it isn't workling at all for me now. We are looking at other options to try as a last resort and I think we will probably try Botox as I have severe Dystonia's (movement disorder). Please tell your BF to keep moving as much as possible though - I KNOW it is really painful, trust me, I do but it is probably the one thing that will help in the long run - even if it doesn't feel like it now!!! My Doctor always says that we either have to use our RSD limbs as much as possible or loose them and it's true!!!!

I have been on Lyrica also. I didn't help me and I put about 25lbs on whilst on it so eventually, we decided that it was best if I come off it. I really hope that it helps your BF and that he gets some much needed pain relief!!! Everyone is different when it comes to dealing with this condition so it makes it hard for doctors to determine what will work and what wont unfortunately.

Take care and I hope to see you around the forum more soon!!! If you need anything, please dont be afraid to ask because I DO understand some of what you are going through unfortunately!!

I hope things start getting better for you soon and please dont give up hope!

Alison