Thread: Update
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Update, Mrs D?

Last writing, I had had an MRI and CT of the spine which showed no particular reason for continuing pain after the laminectomy and fusion.
I was then sent for flexion and extension films to see if my back is stable or not, and the radiologist actually TALKED to me about what he found. (Actually, as I was sitting in the waiting room, he called several people in to tell them what he found, when he found nothing---told them to go enjoy their weekend and not to worry! A gem this guy)

He found my back is stable. The screws and rods are holding well. The bone transplant did not fuse at all, but that shouldn't be causing pain because the screws are okay. There's new arthritis below the fusion, which is common because after fusion the levels above and below are stressed. He thinks that may cause butt pain when I sit, and suggests a facet block.

Otherwise he says there's lots of scarring along the spine, which is NORMAL after fusion, and accounts for the pain people have starting at around 3 months. He said usually it goes away on its own at about a year.

I spent the last week concentrating more on massage and imagining anything which would break up scar tissue, and was actually feeling a bit better today when I saw my rheumatologist.

Once again, he recommended I take methotrexate. He says I have evidence of lots of tendinitis and low level inflammation at joints. He says this is what happens with sero-negative arthritis. He does not think I have osteoarthritis, rather inflammatory. Even though I'm not at all sure, myself, that I have any arthritis other than the spine.

He wants me to take 15 mg of methotrexate once a week, with folinic and folic acid. His idea is that I rate how fatigued I am and how much pain and stiffness I have daily for 6 weeks. If I'm improved, I can decide to stay on it. If there's no change, then I stop, and don't have to revisit this ad nauseum.

Six weeks seems manageable. Mrs D?

Also, he suggests I start Lyrica, 50mg at night.

I'm thinking both are reasonable, but if I do both together, how do I know which is working?

As an aside, especially for Mrs D, but for anybody: I take dexamethasone nasal spray and amphotericin nasal spray for fungal sinusitis. I haven't had an infection since last March, which is an amazingly long time for me. Also take diflucan, 100mg daily. I have just realized that I have totally lost my sense of smell. Is this from either of these meds? If so, do you know which? Is this reversible? I do miss smelling.

Brian--Only realized while re-reading this thread that I had lost track of the magnets. So I went back to the page, and I can't find a page 13. Can you send a direct link?

Overall, I'm feeling not bad. The back pain, while still there, may be less with more massage and feldenkrais type movements. Sinuses are good, and neuropathy is stable. Just tired--of dealing with the pain and, just tired from the pain.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst

Last edited by LizaJane; 12-12-2006 at 10:08 PM.
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote