View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 11:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Lara and Teri,
I am interested in what you all have to say about this topic because I hope to specialize in Eating Disorders one day, particularly with other mental health issues as well. I recently read an article in a magazine about a facility that is near my home that I would like to work at. I am not really sure what I could add to the topic though.

However, most eating disorders are caused by bullying or some association with food that is disturbing. Often cases are linked to parents that constantly remind their kids about dieting or those that model themselves after a parent that also has an eating disorder. Bullying is a big factor too, I actually know someone in my high school that was bullied and ended up switching schools and was shown on a news special for eating disorders. She said she used to eat lunch in the bathroom out of embarrassment. I think that eating disorders end up becoming a personality disorder in the long run since it becomes who you are. I am wondering about statistics with OCD since it seems like it is common too for those with eating disorders because of obsessive exercising or food rituals. I wish I knew more about it all. Have any of you seen those Australian twins on I think Extra? Tracy Gold from Growing Pains went to see them to help them out too.