View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In terms of getting hired, my take would be that you have nothing to gain and everything to lose by disclosing your MS. Considering that managers know what our condition would do to their health plan costs, it's a good way to assure that you won't get the job. In fact, I wouldn't even consider it until you have the job and you're off probation. Even then, as long as you're high functioning, I still can't see what would be the perk of mentioning it.

It's possible if you're applying for a federal or state job, the diversity angle might help you but in all honesty, I think with most smaller and or private sector agencies, the best way to not get the job would be to mention your MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaHaA View Post
Hi all!

I was diagnosed with MS a bit over a year ago. I graduated from grad school this past December, and I'm deep in the job hunt...

My question is, have any of you used "diversity" to get a leg up in the hiring process? I know the Feds have hiring programs (Schedule A), but I'm hesitant to use them for fear of being "labeled" or approached with pre-conceived notions about my condition, or, even worse yet...my qualifications and professional abilities.

My neuro says to stay away from disclosure and that I'm not disabled. But, I need a job, and I'm beginning to consider these options as a way to help get a gig. Does anyone have experience (pro or con) they could share that might help me with this decision?

Thanks!

All best,

Me
elliot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AaHaA (04-05-2009)