View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 02:27 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Gluten free diet

Hi Zuchini,
Apparently, you must ensure you remove all traces of gluten, it is all or nothing. I thought I could simply try reducing my high gluten foods, but no such luck. See the information I got from a celiac site.
Ron

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a low gluten diet. Because the gluten reaction is autoimmune based, it's an all or nothing proposition. You can find information on the gluten free diet and on Celiac disease and non-Celiac gluten intolerance on my website www.glutenfreechoice.com (see the tab on celiac disease and gluten intolerance), and on Scott Adams site www.celiac.com.

Gluten is found in wheat, barley, and rye, and oats can be cross-contaminated with gluten in processing. Spelt, and alternative grain, also contains gluten, but rice, wild rice, buckwheat, quinoa, millet, sorghum, amaranth, and corn do not contain gluten and are safe to eat. One of the easiest strategies is to base your diet on protein, vegetables, fruit, and tubers like potatoes, beets, sweet potatoes, yams, etc. for starch. I like to include some winter squashes too.

When eliminating gluten, it's easy to substitute brown rice pastas like Tinkyada or DeBolle's brand for wheat (semolina) pasta, and to buy gluten-free bread (in the refrigerated section), and to avoid other baked goods. There are many gluten-free brands of cookies and cereal, and you can request a tour of the gluten-free products in your natural foods grocery store. What is more difficult is avoiding the hidden forms of gluten like modified food starch etc. in soups, packaged foods, and condiments
"Thanks for this!" says:
ZucchiniFlower (04-09-2009)