Old 12-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

That's a tough one.

I guess part of it would depend on the cause of your TOS?
An accident, fall or some acute cause where you developed sx of TOS fairly quickly -vs - a gradual build up & increase in sx like in the case of a repetitive strain type of injury.
And then there is the cases with a structural anomaly, like the extra cervical ribs or fibrous bands etc.

I can only speculate on the RSI type of TOS. Like -If you were normal before, it must be some ongoing postures, movements, and use issues.

I was looking for Sharon Butlers "savings account " analogy having to do with uses adding up & dwindling any savings accumulated during rest/rehab, but I did find some other good stuff on her site.
she must have been adding /updating it {haven't read there in awhile}
like this-
[It is important to recognize that repetitive strain injuries are a natural response to inappropriate or strained use of the body. It is possible to restore the body to a more normal state, but if the body is used inappropriately once again, the same adhesion patterns can form all over again. It is important that corrective stretches and other appropriate measures to reduce strain such as good ergonomics be incorporated into the daily life of a person who has suffered from RSI's. This will help maintain the highest level of relief and prevent future recurrences. ]
http://www.selfcare4rsi.com/understanding-RSIs.html
more here-
http://www.selfcare4rsi.com/rsi-articles.html

she has a lot of good info on her whole site and it really did help me to understand a lot as it applied to my RSI/TOS.
Like the awareness factor - listening to your body is very important!

for the RSD part - I think you either happen to get it or you don't
- but I suppose if the nervous system is "on" for a long time then RSD can come into the picture with a higher percentage.

I think your meds question/concern is pretty much right.
Part of it is that meds change your awareness of how your body is really feeling.
A question would be -are the meds so you can participate in healing therapies and self care, or so you can continue trying to carry on life as if not injured? same work, same postures and uses?

This doesn't apply to those that have extreme & constant pain or RSD with TOS-
I'm applying it more for those that are borderline or sporadic with the pain and levels of it.