View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 04:41 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Trig Any teachers here?

Calling all teachers, especially any who lecture at university level.

Managers who are involved with interviews or promotions might also be able to help me with this one.

What do you do, when councelling is definitely not an option, if a student or an applicant for a position within your company, threatens to commit suicide if they fail the exam/test/assignment/criteria that's been set for them?

Right now I'm having to to deal with this dilemma.

This person is a mature aged, 23 year old, university student, and although I didn't set the work for her to do, I have been trying to help her get her assignment up to a reasonable standard prior to presenting it for assessment.

I know this girl's work is not good enough to pass. Her assignment is due in 4 days and so far it's taken her 10 days to write 250 words towards a 1500 word assignment. If she doesn't improve a whole lot very quickly I'm fairly sure she's going to fail. If she does fail, she's threatening to take her own life.

Please don't tell me that she's only saying that to get attention or to get more assistance, because I believe her. I'm a pretty good judge of character and I know in my own heart that this girl will do what she says if she fails.

She's an overseas student who's here in this country for the sole purpose of getting this university degree. She tells me that in her country failure means shame, and she refuses to live with shame! She will commit suicide if she does not pass this course.

I am being emotionally blackmailed here, and I'm an innocent bystander who offered to help. Actually, I didn't offer to help.... some-one else volunteered my services and this student was so grateful that I didn't have the heart to say no.

There's no point saying get some-one else to talk to her, because she won't agree. 3 days ago I told her that her work leads much more work to pass, and since then we've had 3 days of tears.

The background is more involved than I wrote here. I was going to put it all down, but when I typed it up, there was 2 pages full, so I thought I'd write a very basic outline and see if anyone had any suggestions.

I don't want to be the cause of this girl's death, but I will not do her work for her. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I'm worn out emotionally and beside myself with worry.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (04-18-2009), Alffe (04-04-2009), barbo (04-04-2009), Jomar (04-04-2009), Twinkletoes (04-05-2009)