View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 02:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default looking for gluten-free sources of nuts & dried fruits

When I was at one of my favorite health food stores in the Denver area (Vitamin Cottage), I was looking at their various nuts and dried fruits, that their own warehouse folks had re-packaged into smaller plastic bags, from the original big packages. I recently noticed that there was a warning, in very tiny print, on each smaller plastic bag, saying:

"Made in a Plant that processes peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat (gluten), and milk products." I was surprised, and then annoyed!

This was really so sad, because almonds and dates, etc., start out being gluten-free, but they are getting cross contaminated with gluten, by the health food store people putting them into smaller plastic bagged packages, in the same room that they re-pack glutenous grains & flours in, for each of their branch stores!

I doubt I can convince them (Vitamin Cottage) to run their re-packaging operation in a different way, so now I'm looking for gluten-free, milk-free sources of raw, organic, unsalted almonds, cashews, pecans, other nuts, dates, black mission figs, raisins, etc.

Anybody know some truly gluten-free, milk-free, uncontaminated sources of various nuts & dried fruits? (organic, unsalted, unsulphured)

Carol
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
concerned lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote