View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 06:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am on my third day of Flector, and found this forum. Thanks everyone for all of your helpful suggestions. It is amazing to me how everyone has to stumble through this process as individuals, repeating the same problems/mistakes. I am a registered nurse, so I have seen many patients who have been dealing with chronic pain. I myself have struggled with it since Vioxx was withdrawn.

This was my first experience with this patch, though I have seen Voltaren used in tablet form (same drug as Flector). I wanted to make a suggestion, some had mentioned poor adhesive properties. I have been planning my showers around the patch dosing to avoid the moisture problem. I do think when I am feeling better that working out at the gym could be a problem. For now they stick on me for 12 hours. I do want to say that some of the tapes are not recommended on transdermal patches, and the adhesive may degrade the gelatin. I would try a large moleskin patch (in the footcare section at Walgreens), if it's okay by the manufacturer.

Moleskin is felt with adhesive, and it comes in a large roll which will cover the entire Flector patch (you can also buy rolls online). The adhesive stayed on the bottom of my feet all day when I used it for a wart it works better than anything I've seen for curved areas. If you are using tape and the entire patch isn't in contact with your skin you are not getting the stated dosage anyway.

Also, my pain is neurogenic and deep, I am planning on an epidural after my surgeon clears it. I am not having a great response to the Flector probably because of how deep my pain is. That being said, I am having some relief superficially. I also am taking some Flexeril, and the combo is better than oral NSAIDS. As you all well know there is a neuro and muscular component to back pain.

What facinates me is that my prescription plan (Anthem BCBS) won't cover Lyrica, as it isn't labeled for lumbar pain. They made me jump through hoops to get to it. So far this month I've been given two full rx for neurontin, due to dosage changes 100, 300 respectively, and now Flector at $360/60 patches. I am amazed at the lengths insurance will go, as it would have been more cost-effective to just approve the Lyrica. Unfortunately I used the samples up so I know it works for me. I cannot afford to pay in addition $250 OOP every month for 1 Rx.
Poodle_Momma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote