View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 12:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene_butterfly View Post
Hey Everyone

As I have already posted on the Introduction area of the site. My name is Rhiann and this is a little about my undiagnosed condition...

I have been suffering from bad dizzy spells since the age of about 8 when I was still in primary although they have been getting worse and worse of late. I don not get the dzziness all the time but intermittingly and sometimes can go a week without having one. On the really bad days, I sometimes struggle getting out of bed and also struggle with focusing on objects as everything seems to be moving around me and I also tend to get double vision. I have noticed over the past few days that I sometimes get these 'spells' which only last a few seconds.

More recently also, my balance has also become affected with me falling all over the place and also feel that when I am standing up I feel that I am swaying back and forward, and when I am walking up and down stairs I have to hang on to something. Other symptoms experienced is tingling sensations in my legs but can also feel as if they are really heavy.

The doctors still does not what causes it, but as I also suffer from an anxiety disorder, they all tend to put it down to that but when I am anxious the dizziness feels completely different, and one day I was supposed to be going out to the theatre but was unable to go as it was one of the worst 'dizzy episodes' I had ever experienced - literally has it during the night and lasted the entire day - surely if it was anxiety it would have gone when the decision was made that I was unable to go plus the fact that I was really looking forward to seeing the play.

Just posting to see if anyone had any ideas of what it could be or anything, I am on a waiting list to see a neurologist and am also due to be going to the hospital next week for an echocardiogram and to be fitted with an ECG monitor for 24 hours. It's hard though as I finding it really hard explaining what the dizzy spells as actually like, I can't find the right words
Hi, you must be a bit tired of having these spells since you were 8. I'm so sympathetic with how you must feel.

I had quite a lot of dizziness when I was young, but not nearly as much as you appear to have.

The doctors said I was Iron deficient and they tended to prescribe an iron supplement.

But... okay, this is what happened many years later. I tried to kill myself and in the hospital they did a B12 test which showed that my B12 was very low. Only then nothing much was done because the police came to the hospital and took me to jail because the weeds in my front yard were too tall. It was chamisa, which is a common wild kind of sage.

It took about a year to get the information I needed about B12 replacement, and once I began giving myself shots I had such a huge change in my life that if I hadn't experienced it I would never have believed a vitamin could make that much difference.

My memory improved, the blue coloration under my nails went away, I wasn't dizzy anymore, I no longer felt like killing myself even though things were as bad as when I had tried... I didn't feel depressed... I mean, to me it was quite amazing. When I realized that my doctors hadn't gotten this simple thing taken care of for a long time before it had gotten so bad, I decided I'd do a web site so that people could get the information that their doctors might not be giving.

One doctor I had, who was really nice, said I couldn't be B12 deficient because I wasn't a vegetarian. So even though she was really nice, she was major wrong and her ignorance caused me a lot of pain.

Which reminds me, pain occurs when there's too little B12 for a long period of time. B12 is good for nerves and without it the tiny, peripheral nerves become damaged and a horrid burning sensation starts happening...

I hope things improve for you. Take a look at a good list of symptoms of low B12 and see if any others sound familiar to you.

If you do have other symptoms of low B12 get the methylcobalamin lozenges and take them. You should have significant improvement in a month or two, depending upon how much you take. If there's no improvment, then it wasn't the B12. I would bet you have improvement, though...