Thread: IVIg
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default According to the FDA?

I believe the chances of 'mad cow' are about .002% or less these days. Blood Donors are seriously, regularly and rigorously screened before even starting to 'fractionalize' the blood into it's various components for use by many with hundreds of immune diseases.

The 'mad cow' incidents occurred in the late '90's and every single IG provider has changed their processes for these products since then. It is more regulated than many top class powerful drugs. The mad cow thing comes up more often than necessary because it's dramatic! Nothing more.
The IG Living magazine discusses manufacturing of IVIG and other products Starting on Page 24 of their Feb/Mar issue. You'd have to sign up to read it? But it's free and you don't get extra junk mail. https://secure.igliving.com/web_page...e_archive.aspx

I think you missed the points many of us were trying to make about receiving IVIG. But first? I have to ask.....if you needed blood transfusions during a surgery or trauma? WOULD YOU WORRY? Would you care, even, at that point? I'm sorry to sound harsh about this, But I read everything published on IG products before I decidied to 'go' with it. Since I have THREE immune issues, this stuff is keeping me going! As for Mad COW? Some folks think I'm already crazy! For me, steroids were out and plasmapheresis is far more risky.

I have to say that my quality of life is vastly better as a result of receiving IVIG. I've been receiving it for over 5 years and I am still mobile and in far less pain and immunologic danger due to it! As for the regulations? Read all about it:
http://www.fda.gov/Cber/blood.htm Explore this site and you will appreciate how the US and IG provider companies are working towards safer products. Somewhere, not sure where tho...I got the impression that Canada's scrutiny of such products was even stricter!

In my own case, with a hyper-immune CIDP issue IG has really kept me from becoming bed-bound and worse. We all fight our pain and cope in different ways....this helps me immensly! For folks who are immune deficient? They would not be alive today without it. Especially the children!

's - j

PS as for mad cow? Golly that doc is about 10 years outta date!
Also, have to ask? WHY did the ICU doc give you the IVIG? Must've been a VERY good reason, as the stuff is NOT cheap!

Last edited by dahlek; 04-05-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: PS
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote