View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default For Just Jim

Welcome to the Board. I am still wearing the hard collar until the 20th but I can take it off for short periods while watching TV etc. I get a soft collar on the 20th and can drive again!!

I also wear a MAFO on my left leg and I didn't have any problems walking post op. My surgery was C6-7. I had a horrible sore throat post op,but I did have some breathing issues in recovery room.
The muscles in the neck are fairly sore from being manipulated out of the way during surgery.

About 2 days post op I noticed that I was regaining some small motor control in my left hand.....my strength and motor skill are improving...I can now type with my left hand again!!

I also noticed my left leg weakness is improving. DH & the Dr. think it from having the extreme pressure released on the C-spine which has kind of trickled down and allowed the thorasic & lumbar spine to open up and relieve pressure on the lumbar nerve which was contributing to the left leg weakness .

I have been sleeping on the couch with pillows propped under my neck and shoulders to be comfortable. I only needed the pain meds for the first 2 or 3 days post op and I usually only took them at night. I take an occasional Motrin now for pain.

Eating with the hard collar is interesting, forget pastas & sauces and anything that makes lots of crumbs!!!
Stock up on bendable straws for drinking!!

I honestly feel the worst part of the surgery is having to wear the hard collar for so long. It pushed my hair up in the back [even though my hair is very short] and my scalp actually "hurt".
When I would get warm, which increases the MS symptoms I wanted to rip the collar off and throw it out the window!!

Best of Luck to you, keep us posted on your progress.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Risby
Risby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
JustJim (04-06-2009), SallyC (04-06-2009), soxmom (04-08-2009), tovaxin_lab_rat (04-06-2009)