View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Welcome, Dottie.

Hi Dottie,

I'm sorry you're in the position of having to join the forums, but glad to have you here!

I was dx with generalised MG in 2004 but have had it at least since 1996.
I also do not have the droopy eye, but I also have another as yet undx'd condition causing other symptoms. Prepare yourself for neuro's questioning the dx of MG without the droopy eye!

I have one big concern from your post. The 180 timespan was designed to give some coverage overnight. The time release action is too sporadic for it to be the formula of choice. I really feel you should call your doc and see about getting a Rx for the regular Pyridostigmine. I have Timespan now and have had it with my last flare as well - both times being cautioned by my neuros (2 different ones) that it is ONLY for night time use.

With the regular Rx and proper dose for you, you should be able to feel a difference within one dose. I get dramatic relief from 60 mg within 20 minutes when I am very weak or having breathing difficulty. At times I have to take 60mg every 2.5 to 3 hrs., other times I can go 6 hrs before another dose. The symptoms & severity can wax & wane from hour to hour and day to day, so it's a constant monitoring thing with MG.

I have a little test I give myself when I'm not sure which condition is causing problems. If I can't stand up from a chair without using my hands to push me up, I know it's my MG. 20 minutes or so after taking the Mestinon, I can. I do this if it hasn't been very long since the last dose. My legs are heavily affected with my MG so this test works for me. You may need a different "test" depending on which muscles are worst for you. One person had posted once that he lies on the floor and tries to lift a leg from that position.

Taking too much can cause cholinegeric crises - the same symptoms as not enough- so most newbies aren't given the option I have of self dosing. You have to get more familiar with YOUR signs and symptoms before that is safe.

The best advise I can give you is to make sure you have a good neuro that stays current with MG - they all have sub specialties so some are more interested in other afflictions and you may not get the best, most up to date information and care from someone more interested in a different area (vascular neurology, for instance). That, and the most important piece of your plan is management of your activities.

When I read literature that said myasthenics can lead nearly normal lives, I was considering my old normal - up at 4:30, do aerobics, a load of laundry, get ready for work, work 10-12 hours, go home and make dinner, clean the kitchen....So I figured up at 6:00, skip the aerobics, work 8 hrs, let hubby make dinner while I cleaned up, etc. - WRONG. A normal life means not in the hospital or wheel chair, but NOT that you will be able to carry on as you did before. Until you are "under control" you'll have to make SERIOUS moderations to your routine, planning to do your necessary activities while your meds are at their peak. Once under control, you can get back to a more "normal" routine, always keeping in mind that there is a cummulative effect - you may be able to pull off doing a lot one day or for a week, but it will affect you later.

Best of luck with finalizing your dx, making sure you have the best neuro for your situation, and finding the best treatment plan. Just be really careful for now! You'll find lots of good information and support at this site - we have some amazing people here!

We're all in this together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbi_doc View Post
Mods, I'm copying this from my thread in "communities" Hope that is ok!

Hi all, a little history, am a retired veterinarian (goin' on 3 yrs), have been in Tn for that am't of time, & finally have found what has been stalking me for a very long time....fatigue syndrome never quite explained it all, but when I moved here from NJ in '06 I literally fell apart & landed in the ER twice with an excruciating headache & prostration; after morphine & sev'l weeks in bed, managed to get back up & resume living....however, no dx ever found for that one & proceeded to get weaker & weaker & developed severe exertional dypsnea (difficult, shortness of breath, one Dr claimed I was in heart failure, not so).... there is still no way to associate that illness (possibly viral?) with my eventual dx of MG (2wks ago); confirmed with a decremental EMG...AB results pending; because of the dypsnea time was spent on cardiac & pulmonary testing of which all was normal, (repeated the scenario that you all know too well for past 2 yrs)... now, in addition to the weakness & breathing problems, my jaws ache & feel weak, but I did not present with the classical facial & ocular signs which I'm sure impeded the final neuro evaluation....

After searching this & other forums, it is evident that symptomology varies greatly from person to person, but also from time to time in each of us with remissions...haven't yet been able to assess the effects of pyridostigmine br...taking the 180mg timespan twice a day, may be helping some.....(for some unknown reason, earlier, the administration of a long-acting steroid injection made me considerably worse within 48 hrs)....can only hope that something will eventually tone this down or result in a remission....I sure would give anything to get "back in that saddle", 3 horses & I can't ride yet, or work with my 2 dogs..(dobermans) the elder is an agility champ, but I cannot walk long enough to train the young one....

Sorry for the long post...takes much explanation, & I do realize that there are many of you out there who are in worse straits than I & a lot younger....I'm just trying hard not to give up....never was a quitter..

Dottie