View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Street View Post
I would think it too early, after a few weeks, to think it likely to be with you for the rest of your life, since there are many causes of neuropathy. I would pursue thorough investigations. Perhaps the underlying condition can be discovered and something can be done.
True... all the stuff I've been reading about was pretty depressing and giving a poor prognosis for idiopathic neuropathy (basically "we don't know what the hell is going on, you just may well be stuck with it"). My neuro says that if there's nothing pathological going on, it'll probably just go away over time. Ugh, who knows?

So far the following tests aren't showing anything abnormal:
serum immunoelectrophoresis
ANA
ESR
fasting blood sugar
heavy metals
serum B12 (was in the 600s)
CRP
Lyme (though I know there are some issues with the standard testing)

Have a lumbar MRI (due to history of low back pain) and EMG/NCV coming up in a few days. The neuro also ordered physical therapy which is great, I wish I had done this ages ago for my back.

Oddly enough my symptoms, which have been getting worse in the last few weeks, got a lot better overnight... much less numbness and I can actually walk properly, whereas before was hard to walk w/out a limp. It's mostly the left foot/leg, have only mild numbness in the rt. foot. It has had the tendency to just get much worse overnight, I just woke up one day and my foot was all numb, woke up another day and the whole leg was numb. Now I've woken up and I have a lot more feeling in the leg and foot, less hypersensitivity.

I have a lot of weird issues with regards to my lower back which makes me think that there is basically nerve compression going on: left hip higher, longer left leg, sacrum rotated to the left,extreme tightness in muscles in lower back, sacrum, hips. Plus a leg injury/muscle strain in the LEFT leg that had me limping for weeks before the onset of numbness. How this can all be definitively tied to the PN I don't know... maybe the MRI will show something? And how I would go about straightening it all out is a mystery as well. So far I am cautiously optimistic about the improvement I am feeling in the last few days.
poetic license is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote