Thread: MRI Results
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 AM
artist

artist

Hahahahaha Lisa
I wondered if they had crossed the Atlantic and thought perhaps not!
Here are a couple:

Christmas crackers are *essential* for a Proper British Christmas. You put a couple by each person's plate when you lay the table.... They are rolls of crepe paper, (very fancily decorated) twisted at both ends, with enough paper left at each end to grab hold of, and they contain a present, a paper hat, a joke and a small fire cracker. They're cunningly made so they break apart when pulled hard.

The fire cracker itself is like the cap in a toy gun, big bang and a bit of a spark. It is right in the middle of the inside of the roll, stuck on a length of thin card that runs lengthwise through the roll. At the end of your main Christmas meal, you have a tug of war with everyone else, you take one end of the cracker, someone else takes the other and you pull hard as you can. The fire cracker pulls apart and someone gets the "big" half of the cracker - plus all the presents inside....then you put on the hats, read the jokes, play with everyone's toys and....that's *Christmas* UK style!!!

Shops everywhere sell them, some are cheap and useless with really lame jokes, others not so bad...you might find a dog whistle, or small magnifying glass or compass, a puzzle, that kind of thing...some of the best contained indoor fireworks, but I think they've banned those now...so, I think you wear paper hats in the US, yes? - that's how those started! Funny ways of foreigners, huh ?

Or are you now going to tell me "oh that old thing, that's what we call so-and-so when we have them at Easter"??
all the best!

Last edited by artist; 12-13-2006 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typos of course...
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote