View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 06:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nide44 View Post
Raglet,
The gold standard test for Small Fober Neuropathy (SFN)
is the Skin Punch Biopsy Test (Not the Sural).
This will detect damage to the small fibers.
Well, I went to the Neuro and he spent over an hour with me. Great doctor. He did the "shock" test first, then the test that included an accupuncture type needle with a wire on it. Did the needle on about six points on my legs. His general reaction is that I do indeed have PN, however he feels based on his tests that it is due to a pinched nerve and started before my Lupus "started". I fell into our pool in October (drunk and very tired - bad combination) and the pain in my left foot started a day after that and has progressed from pain to numbness, and back to pain and has moved to my right foot.

He agreed that I needed more B12 so I am doubling up on the suppliment (1000mcg) and actually am feeling better. My toes feel almost normal however the ball of my left foot (is that large pad that takes the weight the "ball" of the foot?) is sore so walking is still interesting.

Anyway, when I am done with this bottle of suppliment B I will switch to the ones recommended here. He said that "B12, B6 and Folic are the Trifecta" when it comes to PN.

He didnt really have much to say to help me when it comes to "what to do about a pinched nerve that leads to PN" as we got rushed at the end of our visit. Any tips from the group?

I sit all day for work but try to get up at least once per hour and walk around. I also am trying to excercise on an elliptical trainer but that is slow going as I am out of shape and my thighs burn due to the Prednisone and Plaqinil I am on for the Lupus. I am up to 7 - 10 minutes per session and have started lifting weights again to regain some of the muscle mass I lost being sick last year.

Thanks!

dave
TallDoode is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote