Thread: dentist insults
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Jon,

The part of the lower jawbone where the front six teeth were is naturally thin, like a pencil. When bone loss occurs, that pencil shape thins out and shrinks down. In other words the entire portion of the lower ridge gets smaller and flattens out. Not just the front or the back of it. The acrylic part of the lower denture (the pink part) is designed to make up for the missing bone which is meant to give the denture more stability. The less bone loss, the less acrylic. The more bone loss, the more acrylic.

With regard to the placement of the lower implants...... dental implants need substantial "healthy" bone to hold them in. Even if bone graft material is used, the site needs to have a certain amount of adequate bone to integrate with the bone graft. The size and shape of the dental implants depends on the size and shape of the bone. So, sometimes the location of the implants is not ideal because there is inadequate bone in the places that would be ideal.

I do remember the hell you went through with the placement of these implants. I have to tell you, I have assisted on hundreds of implant cases and never once has an awake patient ever felt a thing during the surgery. Even post operatively, patients have told me they felt no more than an achey, pressure feeling for the first 2-3 days. I am so sorry you have endured such pain and stress over all of this :-((

I am not sure about the law regarding retribution if you signed paperwork agreeing to their treatment plan. The only recourse that I could think of would be if the work they did was different than what you agreed to. You would need a denitst outside of the school to stand up for you on that.

In some states, a dentist can dismiss a patient in writing after dental work has started ONLY if he can prove his actions of dismissal and refer the patient to another dentist. A dentist cannot dismiss a patient once treatment has started without those two things.

This statement you made has me very concerned ......<<He can and has done things that I couldn't tell about until later. I have no confidence that he won't do something again.>>
What happened?? Did he touch you inappropriately? Was he physically rough with you? It is SO important that you not keep this to yourself. If he did anything even remotely inappropriate to you, you need to make that known to the school officials. Chances are, you are not the only one and his peers may already know about his behavior.

At this point in treatment, I would suggest that you go in for your appointment with a passive but assertive attitude so as to not stir up any further stress for yourself. Let them place the denture and show you how to put it in and remove it. Make sure you are clear on how to use it. Once the denture is in place, do not acknowledge that you are content, unless you really are, and do not sign anything else.

I think if at all possible, it would behoove you to consult with a private practicing dentist after you've gotten your denture. You will need follow up care and you will need to have someone that you can trust.

Jon, I am so sorry for all of this. As I've mentioned earlier on, I have seen the work that comes out of dental schools and the majority of the time, the quality and personal care is questionable. I currently have one patient who had her upper implants placed at a dental school. Her treatment plan called for eight to nine implants, she ended up with thirteen!! That number was definitely was unnecessary, but she didn't know any better and when she questioned it, she was barked at...... like you were.

By the way.. I did think you were a male!! Ha Ha! Not that it matters...~'.'~

Let me know if I explained things ok and please keep us posted on what's going on.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Thank goodness you got this, Bryanna! Let me get this clear with you. When you spoke about the ridge being too small - you spoke of it being in the back or chewing part of the partial. It's in the very front of the lower teeth that all that ridge that drops down then goes to the inside where the food is going to be trapped. It won't do that in the back. Does this make any difference? They also said that the top of the screw will be a different color- not much, but slightly different.

On the back teeth on each side, there will be one tooth screwed into the implant. That's a total of two. The other three will be spaced along that ridge back of the front teeth. Those screws will not be through the top of the teeth like the back will be. They will be back of the front teeth on that ridge. Am I clear as mud?

My reasoning for its being that way is that they put the front implants in the wrong place - that they should have gone forward of where they are. The surgeon who did these was the one from .ell who wouldn't deaden the gums enough through the 5 hours of surgery, etc. If that were the case, it seems they should have told me at the time about the difference it would make. They all said if was just perfectly done, of course. I complained to them about the thickness in the 'model' from the first. They kept telling me not to worry - that the final one would be completely different . How in the world could it be? Nothing has gotten better.

To answer your question about the stage we're in - I have signed the paper where I agree that the appearance is ok. The teeth in the model that day were movable. After the pros. dean made his godly appearance and declarations - saying they would absolutely do nothing else- take it or leave it, etc., I had no choice but to sign it. Otherwise, I'd be left with just what I've got in my mouth - the implants with the tops - no teeth.

I think it's illegal for a dentist to drop a patient after both have agreed on the work and it's started. As much as I'd like to hit him and the school with a law suit, that wouldn't help me now. Can you imagine how I feel going back to this resident he wouldn't change for me when I asked hime? The resident is the one who caused all this stuff with his poor work. My son in law took me and stayed with me in the room each time because I did not feel safe at all around this man by myself. He can and has done things that I couldn't tell about until later. I have no confidence that he won't do something again.

I'm not an overpowering person nor a mousey person. I treat people as I would like to be treated. Acting is not part of my makeup, but I feel I must have some plan as to how to act when I go back. Any ideas?

I've unsuccessfully tried to reach a nearby dentist to get a second opinion with the possibility of finishing it with him. He's out of the office until Monday, and I left a message about the nature of my call on his phone. I know two people near my age who go to him and like him. Who knows?

I'm female, by the way. Jon comes from initials in my name.

Thanks, Bryanna, and all of your who answered. You have no idea how much it means to me that someone heard me. I'll listen for anything more.

Love to all, Jon
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote