View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 03:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear Sarah,

The only way I can think of that most of us would be able to survive without the "addictable" meds is if we had something else for the pain that worked. Right now I know that I don't. I really would like to start on Lidocaine infusions. (The information for which I received from another wonderful, generous member of this board whom I believe happens to be a member of the Canadian Health Care system). When I gave the Lidocaine info to my RI PM doc he wrote he a letter the next day quitting my case. When I gave the info to my Boston PM docs they wrote up 4 different requests for my insurance company, all of which were rejected. So here I sit, still on percocet, waiting for another SGB in a few weeks, that will probably only a few last weeks, then we'll do it again, etc.

My PCP has told me that if you are in pain and take narcotics for it, then technically you are not addicted. Since I haven't stopped taking percocet for a pretty long time I just don't know how true that is. I know that when I increase my physical activity on weekends because I am cleaning the house or the yard I will deliberately increase my meds because increased activity usually causes me to get excrutiating headaches.

I'm so sorry that you have to face the issues of pain and addiction at the same time. That must be really awful. Perhaps if you could gain access to lidocaine or ketamine infusions the need for other meds would be eliminated. Can you discuss those options with your doctors?

The best of luck to you. Sandy
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CRPSbe (04-07-2009), shogan7RSD (04-07-2009)