View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 04:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Hearing today

I won!! The hearing lasted like 15 minutes, and the judge was a old grandfather. He asked me to tell him why I was there, and I didn't even get through half the prepared statement i had, and he approved me. All I had to do was show him my tremors, and he saw that I had had 10 brain surgeries, as a result of hydrocephalus, and without me having to answer any questions besides what type of shunt I currently have, he started the paperwork. He then told me something wonderful, since all of my problems got really bad after having a certain type of Shunt, he told me despite the 3 year statue of limitations, in NC I have a case to sue the company that made the shunt that caused me to have so many now what looks to be permenant problems. Then he even told me the type of lawyer I needed to see about it, because he said it isn't a medical malpractice one, if my doctor did everything right and surgery and I know he did. Then the judge told me and my lawyer something that neither one of us knew. Before I turned 18 my mom was getting my dad's social security(to take care of me, but she used it actually on herself) since he died in the Army when I was 4 years old, and then I lost it when I turned 18(I was getting VA education benefits when I was in school and nothing at all over vacations), I will now be getting SSD again(and it would be the amount my dad would have gotten if he was still alive,and was disabled), and I will be getting both SSI and SSD.I was shocked, that will be enough money for me to me to finally be able to move out of my grandmother's home and live on my own. The judge said that it would take two weeks for the opinion to be written and filed. My Lawyer said that I will be able to get my direct deposit set up then, and if I don't see my first SSD or SSI check after 30 days to notify him. My lawyer also didn't tell me much about the process afterwards, and he would want to meet with me, since my case is a little complicated, but since I live 7 hours from his office we will do everything by phone and email. He is going to send stuff in the mail to help me out, I just have to email him to remind him, since he has to drive 5 hrs, to durham tomorrow for a hearing. I am suppose to drive to Durham tomorrow to go to Duke University Medical Center Thursday.
swimgirl16 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote