View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 06:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for posting this. Here you have two more researchers who believe in this philosophy. My husband and I feel the same way as Dr. Edwards does and I suspect that there are many more with similar views, but quietly working away in their labs. I know friends who refused to patent their findings and left the info for public access. However, my friends or my husband or I love to spend our time in labs at Institutes away from real life and assume that there are others who would change the system. WE have no clue who the others are!!
Good to hear that "Others" are starting to show up! As for me "PD" has changed my life and brought me out of the lab into real life..........May be I should get in touch with Dr.Edwards to find out how a no-name but sincere researcher can help his mission

Girija

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
We need more researchers like this one!

From the Toronto Star, April 4, 2009

"Secrecy slowing drug research

Leading scientist urges transparency to deliver drugs to patients sooner

April 04, 2009
by Megan Ogilvie
HEALTH REPORTER

Excerpt:
"It takes a big brain and a big-time swagger to transform the drug industry. And Aled Edwards – a renowned University of Toronto biochemist and respected laboratory leader – employs both to change the way drugs get into your medicine cabinet.

The 47-year-old researcher says the current method of creating drugs – one shrouded in secrecy and driven by patents and money-making – has failed. Too few medicines have come to market in the past 30 years, which means too many people still get sick and die from disease.

Edwards believes the only way to get more medicines to patients is for industry and academia to work together – and to post all their findings free on the Internet..."

Full article at: http://www.thestar.com/article/613662

Last edited by girija; 04-07-2009 at 09:03 PM.
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vlhperry (04-09-2009)