View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi shezbut,

If you have lost the majority of your tooth enamel on ALL or most of your teeth, it is not from brushing too hard. It is from a digestive issue such as GERD or a bulimic condition in which food is perged on a regular basis. Certain medications cause or contribute to digestive disorders causing an acidic imbalance in the digestive tract. The mouth is the opening to the digestive tract, so they will share the same dysbiosis, microbial imbalances.

Gum recession can occur from a chronic accumulation of plaque along the gumline..... or exaggerated tooth brushing and/or a misaligned bite. So all of those things would need to be checked for a proper diagnosis of what is causing the recession.

I agree with Mark in that it may be wise to check into the long term and short term side effects of the meds you are taking and combining together.

I cannot give you any advice on how you would be treated at an MA dental facility. I know there will be limitations and that's because they are not paid very much. However, you have every right to be treated fairly so I would suggest that you ask questions of the dentist such as ..... What are all of my dental problems have him make a list; which teeth are the worst and why; do I have periodontal disease; how is my bite; and what are all of my options. Make sure a full mouth series of radiographs are taken which will have xrays of every tooth. Do not settle for less than a full mouth series. A panorex radiograph is ok too, but ask to have individual xrays also.

Please try not to be fearful of seeking dental care. You may have MA but you are entitled to quality dental care.

Please keep us posted on how things are going :-)

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezbut View Post
While I'm relatively young (38 y.o.) and have always tried to take decent care of my teeth, I have lost the majority of my enamel (from brushing too hard) and my gumline is now receding. Pale pink colored gums. The dentist was able to tell I have GERD simply by examination.

I do take phenobarbital, zonisamide, effexor XR and buspar daily. I also take omeprazole every morning. I use PreviDent gel daily. Floss twice a day. Also use Crest Total Care Mouthwash twice/day.

I now have medical assistance and have been hesitating to see the dentist for 6 months or so. I fear that the covered dentist will simply want to pull my teeth and give me dentures. Is that a reasonable fear, or do DDS accepting MA not practice like that? Or, is their care dependent upon what MA is willing to pay for? Please help if you can, thank you!

Shez
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
shezbut (04-28-2009)