View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome to the board! Sorry you've been diagnosed with rsd though.

It's extremely important you keep the joint moving! You can only make the pain worse by overdoing it thus putting yourself into a flare. Not trying to walk and gain rom can result in losing the use of the part, in this case your foot. Doing any exercises should be done consistently but slowly. Don't push yourself to the point where it puts you in even more pain. If you can do any exercise for only a couple of minutes then, stop there. You can do a couple more minutes later on. :-)

Keeping the pain under control is equally as important. I believe it contributed to my getting worse so fast. Don't have any proof but that's just my opinion.

It's great you've been diagnosed so quickly though. The first thing is to get to a pain management doctor as soon as you possibly can. The first three months are critical for getting treatment. You could possibly get into remission!

Nerve blocks should be done as soon as possible. The pm doc is who usually does them. Keeping moving and keeping the pain under control, also meds like Lyrica, Topomax, Cymbalta, Neurontin, etc. have helped others who have bad burning. It's calms it down so it doesn't just add to the rest of the pain.

Don't use ice! That will only further constrict the blood vessels resulting in more pain and a worsening in the already comprised circulation.

I guess those are the best "tips" I got! :-) Feel free to keep asking questions and learn all you can. We've all been there before. Welcome again.

Hugs,

Karen

Living, loving and laughing with RSD for 14 years and counting.
GalenaFaolan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DianaA (04-08-2009)