View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Becky!

Wow! Your poor hubby! What an incredible man! I can't think of anyone else that would do that! He sounds AMAZING!

"For better or worse" really mean something - that is rare nowadays - sadly.....

I am going up to Dallas to see my grandparent's this weekend - get my dose of grandma! She is such a strong woman...they have been married 60+ years and are still best friends - Mike and I aspire to be just like them.

I am so glad I found this site. It has been a real life saver. Unless you actually have MG (or a chronic illness) you just don't understand.....

Can't wait to hear from you!
Big, big hugs!
Erin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1256 View Post
Hi Erin,
I'm glad we could make you smile!

My honey was in my son's boat, parked in our "toy barn" getting some paperwork out for our son. He stepped out like he steps out of our boat - off the bow onto the part of the trailer that sticks up on the front - but son's boat isn't as stable as our apparently and Steve lost his footing.

That's all he really remembers, but we think his other foot got caught up some how in the bow of the boat. Anyway, he smacked his head on something on the way down (the edge of the boat, maybe) and fractured his skull in two places. We're so fortunate! People die from injuries like his all the time, or have permanent short term memory loss and a miriad of other problems. It was horrible when I saw him in the ER - there was blood coming out his ear, he couldn't hear anything at all and had short term memory loss and just kept asking me over and over what was going on, and saying he didn't remember. I mean it would be 2 minutes between the same question.

Luckily, my in-laws were staying at our house and found him in the barn shortly after it happened. They were here, though, for my son's wedding - it was just 4 DAYS after Steve's accident. That sure put everything in a tizzy, let me tell you! Believe it or not, this man of mine is so strong that although he couldn't stay for the reception, he made it to the wedding! Doesn't remember much, and it may have set him back some, but he was determined not to miss it. I love him SO MUCH.

Also luckily, I was doing really well myself last summer, so I was able to take care of him (for a change!). He's doing much better now. He had to get hearing aids, can't taste much, but he has his memory in tact, can think, walk, talk, and doesn't have the personality changes and aggression that can come with that type injury. I am concerned though that all this stress with my problems is causing problems for him. I can see it in his face and his hearing is backsliding even with the aids.

Well, now you have his story, too. Health, and life, are so fragile. My daughter says one good thing that came of Steve's accident is that before everyone was so focused on me that they took him for granted. She always thought he was invincible (he is a VERY STRONG man), and this showed her that she needs to show him more love and concern too.
Their relationship has improved considerably since then; and he told me once that he never realized that so many people "liked" him.

So, I guess there is good that comes of almost everything!

I'm better today, emotionally, except stressing over bills - I'm the major wage earner and since I've been ordered home this is going to be TOUGH!
We'll get through it though - as long as we have family and friends like we have, the "stuff" doesn't matter!

Take care, sweetie!