View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 04:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default When do you hand over the responsibility to the child (gf)

As parents of young children with Celiac disease or other intollerance, it is easy to be firm about controlling what they eat. But at what age do you have to let them decide? And if they want to "test" the foods that make them sick, do you "let" them, or do you stand firm with that "control". What keeps this from turning into a huge control issue when they are teens/preteens?

I trust Bean 99% to make the right choices, but I can't help but to wonder where those lines are. For example, if she wants to try to eat gluten, and I know that gluten will make her neurologically and physcially ill, I would be a neglectful mother to let her do so. But if I don't ever let her try gluten, will she sneak it, hide it, go behind my back to test these things out on her own? Would it be better if I left it open from the get go (well not from infancy, but you know what I mean).

This is not an issue we are dealing with at all, but just one I am curious about. I know some of you have older children and you may have more experience here. If you have had trouble with your kids (older kids) sticking to their diets, what has helped? Do they just get tired of being sick? I know we all have a degree of what we will tollerate. For example,I may splurge on a piece of lemon pound cake while on vacation, even though I know it will likely make me sick. I weigh out the time spent ill vs enjoyment factor, and as an adult, I can make that choice, but what about children?

And do these rules apply in the same strength for Celiac vs Gluten Intollerant?

What is bringing this all up is a friend's daughter who is sneaking some foods she shouldn't be eating and the questions on how to deal with that. And it has me questioning if how we deal with gluten in general is the best approach or if there is room for improvement?

A day to day lunch pictorial
sleepingbean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote