View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 PM
visitor

10 yr Member
visitor

10 yr Member

Would my cats qualify as "emotional support animals" for the purpose of housing?

I have two cats. They are well trained to use their litter box and scratching posts and do not cause damage.

I am autistic, and the cats allow for "safe", non-stressful social interaction, and I can talk to them without worrying that I'll embarrass somebody, mix up my words, or say something stupid. Since I'm socially isolated, interacting with them really helps. Additionally, when I'm extremely stressed out, petting a cat can help, both because of the comforting texture of the fur and because a cat is heavy and warm when it sits on you.

I don't know, though, that this is any more "emotional support" than the average cat would provide for the average owner. And, while two cats are easier to take care of than one because they keep each other busy, two cats may be harder to explain than one.

The housing problem is because I am on SSI and it is difficult to find an apartment that fits within that price limit. Most in that range do not allow pets. I got lucky with a landlord who changed his mind about the pet policy this time, because he sees I take good care of my cats, but I may not be so fortunate in the future.

What do you think?
chaoticidealism is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote