View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedout View Post
Hi, I was just diagnosed today with "mild" crds. I had torn a ligament in my hand at wk back in Dec. After 6 wks in a cast and the rest of this time in a splint, pain worse and spread to my whole hand from just my thumb. It feels like my hand is being ripped apart and it burns. This is mild?! Anyway, I have some swelling, a bit of color chaange (red w/white lacey pattern sometimes) sometimes it is colder than my other hand but not always. The pain is worse when I try to move or use it and it's constant. I can't think, concentrate, sleep, i am irritable etc. I bet my kids are ready to run away . I am in OT and it seems to help. This is under wc. Anyway, pain magmt doc gave me a creme for my hand and ultram but suggested nerve blocks, especially if no improvement in function in the next 2 wks. I was just so stunned today, i am on an emotional roller coaster I couldn't even think of questions to ask.

The wc nurse case mgr says that if meds don't wk we'll do nerve blocks and that will cure it...is that true? I feel like i am losing my mind.

Hello Stressedout and Welcome to Neurotalk!! You will meet many great peopl here who i'm sure will be more than happy to help you if they possibly can!!

I'm SO sorry to hear about everything that you have and are still continuing to go through!! I really hope that things start looking up for you soon and you are in my thoughts!!

I also suffer from RSD. It currently affects both of my arms and my left leg. I developed it when I was 12 years old after I fell down some stairs and sprained my ankle and am now 14. I have tried all sorts of medications and treatments but none have really worked - the only med that offers me some relief is Ketamine but my doctor doesn't like me taking it as he feels that it could affect my hormones etc because of my age. We are now considering trying other options such as Botox as a last resort.

What the WC nurse said is totally wrong!!!! Unfortunately, there is currently no cure for RSD however it CAN be managed with medications, nerve blocks etc! Remission means that the symptoms can go away for a period of time although the RSD isn't fully gone and can still flare back up again. Everyone with RSD is different and that makes it really hard for doctors to determine what will work for you as what works for one person, might not work for another. It can usually take a period of time for you to find the right treatment plan. You are pretty "lucky" that you got diagnosed so quickly - doctors usually say that the best chance of RSD going into remission is if it is caught within just over 3 months.

Have you tried Physical Therapy?? I KNOW that it is really painful but it is probably the one thing that will help you in the long run. If you aren't having PT at the moment, start off by doing some gentle exercises at home and then gradually build them up as and when you feel able to. With RSD, Doctors say that you either "Use it or lose it" and it is true!!!

I can relate to the feelings of being angry, frustrated and irratable and i'm sure many others can also!! RSD affects the Limbic part of the brain which is where moods and emotions is controlled. You are also fairly early into your RSD and you are probably still in denial which is VERY common!!! It took me over a year to start and accept that I have RSD and I dont think that I have fully accepted it now! Do you see a Psychologist?? They can help you come to terms with dealing with a diagnosis if you see one who knows what he/she is talking about!!!

Take care and if you need anything, please know that I am here for you because I DO understand some of what you are going through and just how scary it is to get diagnosed with such an horrible condition!!

Pain free hugs,
Alison