View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hello and Welcome to Neurotalk Lindleykel!! You will meet many great people here who i'm sure will be more than happy to help you if they can!!!

I'm SO sorry to hear about everything that you have and are continuing to go through!! I really hope that things start getting better for you real soon and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

I also suffer from RSD. It currently affects my left leg and both arms. I developed it after I fell and sprained my ankle when I was 12 years old and am now 14. I have tried all sorts of medications but none have really worked - the only one that offers me some relief is Ketamine but my doctor doesn't like me taking it as he fears that it could affect my hormones because of my age etc. We are now considering other options as a last resort.

As Karen said, it is extremely important that you keep moving the affected limb as much as possible. I KNOW that it is really painful but it is probably the one thing that will help you and stop you from getting any worse. If I was you, I would talk to the doctor that performed the surgery and ask him what sort of exercises you should be doing. Maybe start off by doing something light and then gradually build up as and when you feel able to? Also, keep touching your foot as much as possible as this should hopefully keep any hypersenstivity at bay and stop it from getting any worse. Do you see a Physical Therapist? They can be really good at giving you some exercises to do as long as they know about RSD!!

Has your doctor mentioned anything about a Pain Management Doctor?? They are usually the best doctor to diagnose and treat RSD as they can prescribe meds, perform nerve blocks etc. It is extremely important that you get a doctor that knows all about RSD and takes the time to listen to your complaints - if you aren't happy with your doctor, then try and find another one. I know it's really stressful but it is worth it in the end!!! You have every right to say no to any treatment that you don't want so please keep that in mind if any doctor tries to force anything onto you - you know your body best!!!!

As Sherrie said, you are 'lucky' in the sense that your RSD was caught early. Some people have to wait months or even years without a diagnosis. Early and aggresive treatment is critical in trying to get the RSD into remission!!

Take care of yourself and if you need anything, please know that I am here for you because I DO understand some of what you are going through unfortunately!!

Sending many pain-free hugs your way!!

Alison