View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 06:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi there

I am not sure if IVIG is on the list of drugs that can cause a positive ANA, but there are definitely a lot of drugs that can. As ANA's double at each dilution, they become high very fast and are not reflective of disease severity or disease activity, they are just a marker that means that further testing has been done. My ANA tends to sit around 1.1280 - 1.2560. My disease activity is reflected by my anti-ds-dna's (I have lupus), and my ANA's stay the same not matter how sick or well I am at the time.

Have you seen a rheumatologist for an opinion? Otherwise, that could be a good thing to do so you could get further testing done.

the main thing is to remember that if your ANA is indicative of autoimmune disease, all it means is that you have a strong positive ANA, it doesn't mean that you are more (or less) ill than someone whose ANA is, for example, 1:360. Some rheumies do the ANA once, and if it is positive, never do it again as it doesn't reflect the clinical picture.

It makes sense to have full testing done - but ANA's are funny things and some people who don't have autoimmune disease have a positive ANA and as your doctor has already told you, various drugs can cause a positive ANA.

How long are you going to be on the IVIG ? If your ANA is drug induced, then it should disappear within a few months of stopping the infusions.

In your shoes I would get myself monitored by a good rheumie and see how things develop over time. Unfortunately, when labs are not conclusive, the diagnosis trail can be long. In lots of way I am very lucky as my blood work is classic for lupus (and SS and APS).

hth

raglet

Last edited by Raglet; 04-09-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Raglet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote