View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Dejibo,

Your mom is right! Bleach will kill the bacteria on her full denture very well. Rather than go into a long explanation on how to care for dentures and partial dentures..... here is a good explanation on the web. I don't know who the dentist is... but his details on this subject are excellent!

http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/denture_home_care.htm

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
My mom has had dentures for most of her adult life, and does the strangest things for health care. She is one of those "wives tale folks" that follows some weird things. anyway, I digress...my question is...

Can you bleach dentures safely? About once a month, she will remove her dentures, and pop them into a bleach bath. She used to do it more frequently when she smoked, but has long since quit. She swears it keeps them white, bright, and sanitized. She has had the same pair for a long time, but I worry about how caustic bleach can be to the dental material used to make her dentures. Will it cause them to wear out? make them fragile? Are there ill effects to her mouth tissues? She hasnt reported any, and swears that she rinses them really well, but soaking anything in full strength bleach cant be a good thing...can it?

btw, she does brush them everyday, and uses mouth wash or dental bath stuff to soak them at night. I have told her that her nightly soak should be enough to keep them white and bright, but she swears bleach kills more bacteria and keeps her mouth healthy. YUCK!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (04-09-2009)