View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 06:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Is This Diet Safe?

I'm having some moral dilemas with this diet of sorts my pseudo MIL send home with my S.O. For me to 'put him on'. Is it ok if I intrude here for a moment to ask questions? I sure could use some advice and possibly tips. Confronting the MIL is not an option, so I need a work-around.

I question the safety of this diet my S.O. had brought home (printed out by his mother, a doctor) and told me to put him on it.

While I try to understand his mother is a doctor, sometimes I cannot help but to ignore the "California" trendy advice I get, mainly because if everything in my fridge caused cancer I don't think I'd be allowed to buy it at stores. They say everything causes cancer now.

Anyway, cancer aside. I am taking the blame for his weight gain (I accept 80% for what I cook, he gets 20% for always being at work sitting or at home sitting). I am now being told to put him on this diet that appears to be unhealthy in my eyes.

This diet is called "The Mayo Clinic Diet" and what I found online, the Mayo Clinic did not, does not and never will endorse this. It's basically a list of weird stuff I am supposed to feed him every day for 14 days, taking two days off and then repeating until -I guess- he is up to their standards. This thing is saying he will lose 20 pounds every 2 weeks. I do not see this as being safe, something just seems weird. Not to mention, I have another special diet for a "3 day nutritional face-lift".

I hate to be the nasty person, I respect his mother but I think she's messing with his self-esteem and it's kind of ticking me off. He is a bit overweight, but he is healthy. I love him how he is, but I dislike the look on his face every time he visits his family.

I have looked up great healthy diets for him that I can alter to make high fat/protein, etc for myself. However, he has zero time to exercise thus causing 'issues'. His job requires him to 'crunch' at least 6 months out of the year (7 days a week, 12-15 hours per day). He is sitting down a majority of that time.

The other issue I have is that I need to gain weight, so cooking is a hoot at home. I have an 8 year old son who needs a 'normal' diet, I need to gain weight and my S.O. needs to lose. I am so lost, and this is really hard to juggle.

I honestly do not like the looks of this diet, one part of it says "Plenty of grilled steak" and basically says to eat it until you are VERY stuffed. Am I just not diet savvy? Is that normal? This diet is saying to stuff him (literally) on all of the foods listed.

How can I be expected to feed him eggs and tomatoes with coffee for lunch one day and eggs, spinach and coffee for lunch the next? That doesn't even sound very good. Why couldn't he just have a nice healthy salad and take a walk?

I really am trying to be understanding every time he comes homes with these 'natural' diet pills and bizarre diets, but I am not going to make him sick. And this diet does not look healthy.

I'm sorry for babbling, I initially wanted to just ask a question and then was struck with frustration which leaked out here. Sorry.

Any help, tips, suggestions would be more than welcome. Thank you so much for your time.

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote